Unknown Moss

I know moss IDs are impossible, but I got this interesting moss from a friend who said they had found it years ago among some plants in their fishroom, and has kept a little dish of it ever since.

P6290830.jpg

P6290833.jpg

P6290838.jpg

It is grown in a closed translucent plastic container in ambient light, with only a few mm of water in the bottom. In these conditions it seems to die when submerged, the first strands I added were submerged and quickly turned brown, but then sprouted all these vertical threads. It has taken about 2 months to get to the size seen, originally I put 5-6 short pieces in.

Does it look like anything people have seen?

I would guess terrestrial as well. It looks like the moss that grows on the brick paving in my yard. The area is shaded and damp almost all year long and the moss grows well there. I thought about trying it as a submerged plant but then I pulled up all the bricks to re pave.

Looks a lot like the moss I dumped in a tank after collecting it from my path. It did well when in direct light, but just sort of went static when I moved the tank to a darker spot in the house.

I haven't bought them, but there appear to be a few books on Aussie mosses out there! Maybe when I have money to burn...

Till then, I think it's probably safe to assume that this is a terrestrial 'pavement' moss that is common on the east coast :wacko: