New fish

michael

Well ive decided to breed something different for me.

Electric yellow labs (labidochromis caerleus) I have 6 of them around 3 inches and hopefully i have 1 male and 5 females.

ylm.jpg

yl.jpg

I have 2 bay snooks (petenica splendida) But i think i may have 2 males they are about 5 inches so i will have to wait and see over the next few months.

sp1.jpg

sp.jpg

And i have 1 male green terror (aequidens rivulatus) hes about 4 inches . I should get the female next week.

gt.jpg

G'day Michael,

Nice looking Electric yellows - very clean (no dark markings on their sides like you see a lot these days). You won't have much trouble breeding them - 1M + 5F = lots of fry! The only difficult part is catching the females to isolate them if you want them to spit out the fry naturally or to strip them of the fry. Every time I try to catch one of my demasoni I end up pulling most of the rocks out of the tank.

The green terror looks great too. Always admired them but never had a tank spare to own any.

All the best with the new fish.

The bay snooks look like they're going to be huge fish (I haven't come across these myself). They remind me of dovii. How big a tank do these guys require? I like the look of them - the look like they mean business!

I found some photos of the Bay Snook in feeding mode - what an amazing mouth! The size is a bit of a worry though - will need a huge tank if it gets to the full 18" - 20"

It looks like they may lose those black markings as they grow bigger too. The above article says they inhale prey - looks like no small fish will be safe with them. Interesting fish though.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the bay snooks get rather big. The main reason i got them was to get rid of my feeder fish. And yes they really do mean bussiness!!!!!. I love to watch them stalk there prey they change patterns and stand on there head and slowly inch by inch move in on the victim. They are in a 4 footer at the moment as soon as they out grow it i will send them back to my lfs.