female betta tank

Justin88

If you want their finnage to be perfect I'd seperate them... but odds are if you're going to spawn them anyways they'll be fine in a tank of their own (3 ft would be great and they'd love it!) I wouldn't use a power filter but that's just me... my personal preference would be a nice big sponge filter set on a low flow rate :goodo:

add a few plants and some hollow logs or somewhere for them to sit and hide from each other and they'll be happy as larry... that is of course once they sort out a pecking order. there'll be a few nips and chasies until everyone works out their place, then they'll be absolutely fine with only the occaisional nip here and there. (of course adding new girls into an established pecking order will see them nipping again as they decide where the newbie will be ranked)

better in what way?

More room is almost always better as you'll get more muscle. A larger tank also offers more grazing food and (generally) better water so you'll see better growth rates.

What it can do though, is much tails and allow disease to run through several fish at once.

Power filters are OK, just be careful that it isn't a whirlpool and that you break the current because a weak or tired fish can get sucked against the intake and have difficulty getting off, which is very stressful. For a 3', I'd prefer a HOB or canister myself.

I keep some females in community tanks and others in jars. Generally if I'm trying to keep their finnage intact I'll jar them. They also get jarred if they get too aggressive in the community tank. I mostly use corner box filters. They're cheap and flexible in terms of what media I can put in there.

Archived