planted beanie boxes

divy

well... my divided tank is for my 6 males i bought off aquabid and i also got 2 females and forgot that i have no where to put them because my community tank has allready got more then enough females in it

so i figured ill just put them in my beanie boxes and then i got bored a put some left over sand, java moss and tiny pieces of driftwood in them

P1010005.jpg

P1010003-3.jpg

and i made 2 tiny sponge filters for them lol

P1010006-2.jpg

ive also thought of a pretty cool way to do the lighting for them using LEDs that i might do tomorrow

Hee hee, very cute. Very interested in the LED lights you're planning on making. Are you able to get LEDs in the 6500K - 6700K colour spectrum? And will there be sufficient lumen output to get all the way to the bottom of the beanies. It would be brilliant if you could solve these issues because there are hardly any small lights that are suitable for nano settings. I've been looking at lights for 30 cm cubes and finding it hard to find something small that looks good and strong enough to grow something more than java moss.

If you could get enough light to grow plants in the beanie box and were willing to have it quite full of plants you wouldn't need that sponge filter. Just a slowly bubbling airline to provide water movement would be sufficient.

mike i tried out a few leds ( 5mm 9000-12000mcd 20deg) and they did light up the beanie boxes even to the bottom but after doing some googling and reading i found out that 5mm high intensity leds are no where near 6700kelvin

there is a online shop selling a led pannel that is but they are really large pannels and have only been tested on garden plants not aquariums and im pretty sure there selling them to weed growers because i found the link to the shop on a weed forum which made me laugh i mean who knew there were forums for weed growers

im sure the police would love to get there hands on the members

rainy i actually was going to make a mini barracks today and divide it into 2 but not with the beanie boxes instead with my 12l tank because i have enough left over perspex,foam background, sand, plants, heater, filter and so ect but i got side tracked (went motorbike riding)

the mini sponge filters are working and its kind of funny looking at them cause there soo small with big bubbles shooting out of it lol

Actually the Kelvin rating of the LEDs is probably not as important as the visible colour spectrum. Are you able to find out any information about the CRI (colour rendering index)? Is there any information anywhere that shows a graph of the colour spectrum. For plant growing we want to see little spikes in the red and blue regions. And not so much in the yellow.

i went information hunting again about using leds for planted tanks and at the moment there has been very little research on it

i found out that a 24'' T8 has about 1350 lumens and 70 white 1800mcd has around 1540 lumens all together so there about the same when i comes to lumens but then when it comes to plant grow lumens dont mean much right? but the PAR value ?

if it is all about the PAR im out of ideas because i cant find any PAR ratings for leds

so to me leds arnt any good for growing plants but i still might make a light out of them for females in the beanie boxes :)

Archived