Plant trimming !?!

Hey all.

I was just wondering... Would anybody here be able to help me out with this plant? I'm not sure what sort of plant it is, although ive seen it loads of times at LFS etc (i got it form the wild a few weeks ago) and its grown really quickly... I've been dosing my tank with this stuff called Plant Food once a week.

Anyone know how i should go about trimming it, i'm wanting it to grown more in a cluster than the huge long thing across my tank i have now.

(oh and just in case it's the dark green one that dominates it at the moment =P)

image026qs6.jpg

Also, what would be some good ideas for other types of plants? I really like the look of those natural-looking, heavily planted tanks... (preferably ones i dont need a whole bunch of CO2 etc for). I've always liked the look of that java moss or whatever you call it along the back of the tank... But i'd like something nice and tall along the back of the tank along with some sort of grassy plant to grow at the bottom...

Any suggestions would be great though!

Thanks in advance fellow fishy owners =P

Mat

I just cut it about half way along , wrap a plant anchor around the cut end to form a bunch and shove it in the substrate and of it goes /Im not sure if mine is the same plant but if it is then it is Elodea.

Keep doing this and youll have heaps in no time.

thanks a heap! i did what u said a few days ago....

and i swear the new bunch has grown an inch already.... well maybe not that much... but a cm maybe?

=P

i dont hav plant anchors tho.... i just used a small rubber band wrapped around the bottom... would that be alright?

thanks again.

I just cut it about half way along , wrap a plant anchor around the cut end to form a bunch and shove it in the substrate and of it goes /Im not sure if mine is the same plant but if it is then it is Elodea.

Keep doing this and youll have heaps in no time.

Mat ..leave the rubber band if its working and if it doesnt just cut any damage off and shove it back in the substrate..too easy.

All the plant anchor is , is a thin strip of lead .Your idea is probably more tank friendly anyway as its not a metal.

Ive got mine in small terracotta pots and move them around my fry tanks.

That is most definitely elodea, the stuff is classified as a weed in VIC and NSW (i beleive) because it grows like one! Try jungle val and java fern. They're pretty easy to grow with very little light and no CO2 infusion. I've had massive success with jungle Val, speaking of which, I need to trim mine :woohoo:

Archived