Horizontal Stripes?

matTaku

I've recently shown my female betta to my male betta. The female betta is showing horizontal lines instead of vertical lines. She keeps on trying to follow the the male.. Does this mean she is shy, stressed, or does it mean she's ready to breed? The male betta keeps on acting violent (by showing the gills and extending all fins) but never attacks the female betta. Does that mean he's interested or wants to attack the girl?

Females that want to breed will show vertical lines.... if she is following him with horizontal lines then it might be a submissive thing as females kept together will do this after a fight and the loose will display these stripes showing submission. Horizontal stripes are also called fear stripes when the fish feels its in danger.

The males will always flare at the females. Im still trying to work out males as the only sign for them that they want to breed is a bubblenest... but lately my males have been that violent against the females and its like they don't want to breed! the way there going about it doesn't even give the female a chance to show interest and if she does and comes up the the nest he just chases her off. But thats what breeding bettas is like.... doesn't always work... and what works on one pair might not work on another.

My Bettas show a horizontal stripe when they are stressed which is usually from water changes or my girls have been fighting a little lately and they have been showing double horizontal stripes. When most of my male's are ready to breed apart from the bubblenest, they go from chasing the female all around the tank too giving the female a little nip on the fin then race back under the nest and they keep doing this untill the female bow's her head and join's him under the bubble nest.

Archived