Feeding Bettas!

mat92

Hey ladies, gents, and lil fishies!

I was just wondering what are some good foods (that are easily obtained, preferably things i dont have to buy =P) for my betta?

Ive just been feeding him Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets in the morning, and one in the afternoon. Every few days i give him one of these little red wormy things (bloodworms maybe?) that i found in my backyard - I put a little container outside, hopefully to grow some mosquito larvae for him and got these little things instead!

He seems to like them.... but i was wondering what else to feed him, as i don't think its good to feed him pellets all the time =)

Anyway...

Thanks for all the other advice you guys have given me - you've been great!

Mat.

freeze dried bloodworms, freeze dried blackworms, freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, other kinds of pellets, tim addis etc...

Basically you do have to buy everything but thankfully if you only have a couple of fishies spending $5-10 lasts you quite a while! most things are available at any petstore.

• 2 weeks later...

In Perth WA....we are unfortunate enough to have mosquitos.

I have a still 'pond' with water lillies and there are mossie larvae.

I scoop them up and 'clean' them in clean water and feed them to the fish.

They love it!

As soon as they see the plastic spoon over the tank they know its munch time!

I set up a batch of putrid water for mozzies to lay their eggs in too coz I've still got quite a few fry that would love to munch on them but I ended up getting these red worm things too. I know they aren't mozzie larvae coz I've had them before and know what they look like. So I'm assuming they are blood worms...they kinda swim like the mozzie larvae do but they don't hang from the surface to breath. I'm waiting for them to grow a little at the moment. They're too small to catch with tweezers. Brine Shrimp is another thing you can grow at home. You only need to buy a batch of eggs to begin with and continuously hatch them, let them grow to full size and they'll start breeding on their own and u can just harvest as many as u need every day. If you manage to grow them let me know how coz I can manage to hatch them but they rarely live longer than 3 days:(

Yeah my fish seems to love the little blood worm things... altho i can rarely feed them to him because they dont seem to grow much and theyre an absolute bitch to try and catch. i found using a old plastic fork, and kind of tipping the water around until they curl up around one of the pointy bits seems to work. then i just dip the end of the fork into my tank and they fall off. Another thing i;ve been feeding mine is fruit flies... i just go around with a cup and catch them (im talking about the teensy fruit flies.. i wouldnt feed regular flies to him.. a bit big lol) Maybe seeing as it's been a bit cooler (i see you're living on the coast as well!) the mozzies havent had much action :thumbs::dontknow:

i might try with the shrimp... although im broke and actually owe my mum for my new fish tank....

so not for a little while!!

I set up a batch of putrid water for mozzies to lay their eggs in too coz I've still got quite a few fry that would love to munch on them but I ended up getting these red worm things too. I know they aren't mozzie larvae coz I've had them before and know what they look like. So I'm assuming they are blood worms...they kinda swim like the mozzie larvae do but they don't hang from the surface to breath. I'm waiting for them to grow a little at the moment. They're too small to catch with tweezers. Brine Shrimp is another thing you can grow at home. You only need to buy a batch of eggs to begin with and continuously hatch them, let them grow to full size and they'll start breeding on their own and u can just harvest as many as u need every day. If you manage to grow them let me know how coz I can manage to hatch them but they rarely live longer than 3 days:(

• 4 weeks later...

Hye y2jdaze. What is tim addis and where can you get it? Thanks.

Hye mat92. I would recommend from my personal experience that you should get your beta used o variety when you first get them home. I had 2 bttas named Yurple and Mafia and I had had them both for about 4 months and then I tried to get them to eat freeze dried bloodworms and Yurple refused and it took forever to get Mafia to eat them. But my 4 current bettas easily ate them when I put them in their tanks the first few days and now they LOVE them. :lol:

Can someone give me a guide as to how much mosquito larvae is appropriate to feed a full grown Betta?

I give them about 2 large larvae a day.

And their poo is not stringy and stringing of their body.

I lost one to over eating and Swin Bladder I don't want to lose more.

Help would be appreciated.

To spend less time catching wrigglers I use a fine fishnet that catches the bigger one while letting the little one return to grow some more.

5-10 wrigglers depending on size, is what I feed but I only use them to condition pairs for breeding. I never have enough.

Archived