Angel fish

gkbe

Hi all !

Just wanted to know if anyone else can help me out with advice on angel fish. I currently have 8 tetras and I have always wanted an angel fish but have read about the tetras fin nipping ! They don't seem very aggresive with each other but have no idea what will/would happen introducing an angel fish.

If anyone has any advice it would be very much appreciated !

I have a community tank with Angels, tetra's, barbs, black skirted tetra's, bristle nose catfish, guppies, and mollies..

All live together ok..

The only time you may see a problem is if you have a pair of Angelfish, they will get aggressive if they are spawning...

It needs to be a largish tank. Angelfish may look pretty and angelic, but they can be bullies and this behavior gets more obvious in smaller tanks. Choose a small one even if you do have a larger tank, just to let him grow into his place. Full grown fish can be a bit harder on existing inhabitants when establishing a pecking order.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all !

Just wanted to know if anyone else can help me out with advice on angel fish. I currently have 8 tetras and I have always wanted an angel fish but have read about the tetras fin nipping ! They don't seem very aggresive with each other but have no idea what will/would happen introducing an angel fish.

If anyone has any advice it would be very much appreciated !

We I'm fed up with my Angel Fish. They have eaten all my neons. Just yesterday I added some small catfish to clean up the alge. Didn't last 24 hours. About 2 months ago I added a small Angel fish to the tank. Iam amazed at how quickly it grew.

Whilst they do look attractive they are a bugger of a fish. I thinking about getting rid of them.

I also have one large dollar fish in the tank and although both Angel fish are smaller the buggers still attack it, biting it on it's fins.

So my advice is do not put any fish into a tank that are smaller than the Angel fish.

Once the angels get too big and start eating everything you could sell them back to the LFS or at a club auction and then just replace them with smaller ones.

They really grow that big ? Either way I would never sell them. They are my boys ! Spiny Norman and Dinsdale. Some will find that amusing, others will have no idea :)

They really grow that big ? Either way I would never sell them. They are my boys ! Spiny Norman and Dinsdale. Some will find that amusing, others will have no idea :)

Do you have any fish other than Angel fish?

My tank at the moment is a disaster.

The 2 Angels are to aggressive and I also have a silver dollar who eating all my live plants.

I currently have a platy who can look after itself but the swordfish is **** scared.

They don't get chunky, but they get kinda tall and wide. I've seen a few that could touch the top and the bottom of the tank with their fins at once (longfin, but still, quite big). Not what you expect when the fish is bought at 50c piece size!

Ditch the silver dollar Herby dad, they are little monsters and belong in with other little monsters. If I was the swordtail, I'd be scared too! :D

They don't get chunky, but they get kinda tall and wide. I've seen a few that could touch the top and the bottom of the tank with their fins at once (longfin, but still, quite big). Not what you expect when the fish is bought at 50c piece size!

Ditch the silver dollar Herby dad, they are little monsters and belong in with other little monsters. If I was the swordtail, I'd be scared too! :lol:

Well I took both the murderous Angels plus my big silver dollar down to the Shop and swapped them for 4 Gourami.

I was given a gift voucher for $40 so I think I'll buy some cardinals and swordfish with that

Ive got a great koi angel fish :)

and a zebra angel fish and ive never every had any problems with them. :goodo:

Although my koi angel fish is a bit bossy and acts like hes top dog.

besides that there really quite a peaceful fish except at spawning time!!! :thumbs:

Archived