filter

Tara

Hi Guys

A friend has let me a tank with a filter for my fry but I'm not very confident about using the filter.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/c...ly/DSCF5961.jpg

the filter it is a water flow type but it dosent seem to have a lid so I'm concerned the fry might get stuck in it. I was thinking I might be able to stick a stocking over the top but then they could still get in where the water flows back out.

Where should the water level be for this type of filter should it be above where the water flows back out or below?

Or should I just not use the filter and buy another small world filter as a sponge filter would take up to much room.?

thanks

Tara :)

Not familiar with that kind of filter. Does it suck water from the bottom and pump out through the top? If that's the case you can put a stocking over the intake at the bottom to prevent fry getting sucked in. I would think that the water level needs to be at the same level or slightly below the outflow. It seems to be an internal waterfall type thing.

i think the water flows from the bottom grill up and flows over the top lip back into the tank. i think as long as the water level stays higher than the bottom grill slits it should be fine to pump water.

but yea... fry tank should use sponge filter to be on the safe side.

Looking at the filter it seems to work that way. My fry are 6 wks and the biggest I 've had so far. They are flaring and starting to attack each other thats why I borrowed the tank as I have all my fry in foam boxes out the back. I was thinking I properly should just keep it simple like Rod suggested but the sponge filter I have is a medium and it takes up a far bit of room and I was hoping to at least put three females in the tank with plants of course untill they big enough to find new homes.

Thanks for all your feedback

Tara

:cheer:

Archived