My 4ft tank progress

DukeOfYabon

Well, my 4ft tank finally finished its fishless cycle :lol:. 39 days was ok considering that I was starting fresh with no filter media from another tank to kickstart it. Apparently 6-8 weeks is the norm when starting from scratch.

I bought the intended sole occupant on the 22nd Nov, a mostly red lutino Oscar I've named 'Erland'. My first time impressions of him is that he is very shy and a big time sulk! If I peek my head into my fish-room I see him swimming around actively and exploring the tank but if I enter the room and he sees me then he either heads for the nearest hidy hole or he lays on the bottom of the tank on his side and pretends to be dead! I think it's quite funny to see him hide behind a log and slowly raise one eye above the log to check on what I'm doing. :D

Below is a quick pic of my fish-room setup. I have a 130 litre container that I use to condition and age my water before use in the tank. It was only $29.80 from Bunnings and it was designed to hold water. A couple of airstones keeps the water aerated and moving and a cheap heater ensures the temperature matches that of the tank. In the tank I'm using an Eheim Classic 2215 canister filter and I plan to add an AquaClear 110 HOB filter when Erland gets a little bigger.

fishroom.jpg

Excuse the poor picture quality, I plan to get my good camera out to take some better tank shots that I will post soon. No pics of Erland will come for a while until he gets to know me a little better. :D

Cheers,

Jason

LOL! Sounds like a classic oscar - my first one used to do that, sneaky little bugger, kept it up for about 2 weeks then one day he just loved me and couldn't get enough!

My current one, Buzz, he was always a champion fish, never ever ever sulked when I bought him home. He has only sulked once, and that is when he had a bacterial infection. Came good after about a week of treatment.

LOL! Sounds like a classic oscar - my first one used to do that, sneaky little bugger, kept it up for about 2 weeks then one day he just loved me and couldn't get enough!

My current one, Buzz, he was always a champion fish, never ever ever sulked when I bought him home. He has only sulked once, and that is when he had a bacterial infection. Came good after about a week of treatment.

hay beano. buss wouldnt happen to be the oscar that ate tiger would it??

Hey Jason you know if they have those blue drums in bigger sizes... say 200L or 250L?

I was at Bunnings Mascot this morning. I think I spend almost as much time there as my LFS :D

That was the only size for that particular blue drum. However they did have another water storage tank that holds 203 litres and was priced at $79. Weird thing was it was located with the compost bins and not the other plastic storage bins. I grabbed a couple of quick pics for you :D

minitank.jpg

minitanklabel.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

Which Damo? The real Damo? Or the other person that refers to Damo in the third person even though they're signed on as Damo?

:D I didn't realise we were causing such confusion. I'm trying to convince Jess to get her own handle but apparently we're "of the one mind" :D

It sound's like our oscars your talking about (the plural is in a past tense, unless you consider tiger's a part of oscar forever now..) Oscar's never been shy. His latest trick is to jump 6 inchs to take yabbies from my hand. Kinda cool.

Archived