Girl fight

sunnylass

I've now got 3 females together again, I bagged all three, rearranged the tank, and left the girls in the bags for about 20 minutes then let them out. All 3 are busy picking on each other. Is this going to settle down? Its not fun to watch, and I'm worried that they are really going to hurt each other.

I think females in a tank together always ends up with ragged fins. I always jar my breeder females. The only females that I keep together are those who were raised together as fry. And then once I've decided on the ones I'd like to breed I jar them and either sell or cull the rest.

I've never seen females lock lips. Perhaps that's because mine aren't mature enough to start doing that. You're sure they're females, right? The other reason I jar females is very often males won't reveal their gender until after they're jarred.

I have experienced females fighting. You need to work out a method to help them sort out the rank. Unlike Bettarazzi I keep all my females together and have had little problems once I have worked out a method of letting them establish ranks without damage.

Maybe getting one of the two dominant females i.e. the two that are the most aggressive and put one in a clear container, place it in the tank and leave her there for about an hour or two. Release her after an hour or so and watch closely for about 10 minutes.

If the flaring and fighting doesnt settle down after 10 mins and they are still quite aggressive you might have to think about jarring them. From my experience changing stuff in the tank around doesn’t really work with bettas. Heck I seen bettas fight in water about 6mm in depth lying on their sides cause there isn’t enough water depth and there still fighting each other! (Thai method of making their fighters fiercer and less timid) I don’t think surroundings play an important part if they have this behaviour!

I've put one of my girls in a floating tank, and she is a mess. The other two girls in the tank are just ignoring each other. I feel really bad, because the two girls who are fighting shared that tank for months with no problems at all. Then one of my girls I tried breeding from, and after that, I put her back with the other girls, and still no problems. Now the two original girls hate each other. I'm going to have to treat Bandit, she has a chunk missing from under her mouth (pack of bitches they are), and I might just have to keep the girls seperate. I had just today bought a beautiful new girl to add to the tank and this happens.

That’s why it happen you added a new fish, they need to sort the ranks out. Or if you just put one back after breeding then they need to sort the ranks out again.

It has happened to me about 5 times and every time I just separate the two that are fighting and then release the one in the floating tank after an hour and after that it’s normally ok. I added another female to the tank the other day and she wanted to be the queen. I could see some very big blows taking place so I put the new female in a clear floating container and release her after an hour, there was a bit of flaring but now they all live happily together, that’s until I take her out for breeding and then put her back in. But I have had success with this method every time!

Yeah thats what mine do... they try and try to get at each other through the plastic.

I think what happens is because they can not get to each other to fight phyiscally they work out their rank by display only, I have seen males do this as well where they havent even touched each other and one out displays the other and the one that loses takes cover in the corner of the tank.

In about an hours time they should have displayed and flare enough at each other to work out ranks. I would highly recommend when introducing new females to float them in a tank for a few hours to get the ranks sorted.

Well my little girl bandit is in a tank on her own now with some melafix. The other two are ok at the moment, the new girl is hiding and the bully is just swimming around. I'm going to set up a third tank though, stuff this for a joke. I'm keeping them seperate.

Yes, but as I understand it, Brett's method is to leave them in the floating tank for an hour. So let them flare at each other but not be able to get at each other and once they've worn themselves out, release them. Probably a good idea to let her heal up. If she's separated you can treat her and make sure she doesn't get any secondary infections from the wounds. But if you decide to put her back in the female community tank, it would be interesting to try Brett's female aggression control method.

I am reluctant to put her back, because I'm worried it will happen again. But I've already treated the community tank, so I will give it one try, but one try only. I will tank Bandit and float her in the community tank and see. I'll leave her there for an hour, then release her, but if its on again, then they stay seperated. Thank you for being helpful with this, its really appreciated.

I have 3 crowntail females in a community tank together (as you saw when u were here) and they don't fight at all, in fact I often see them hanging out together. I'd suggest putting them all next to each other in separate containers for say a week or so, just so they get used to each other then try releasing them into the tank. How big is the tank you are trying to put them in to? A larger tank with hiding spots will also help with fighting as they have somewhere to retreat to. Good Luck Sunny! (nearly wrote your real name then hehe)

I took Brett's suggestion and tanked one of the dominant females for a few hours and then re released her into the tank. It worked. There is still the odd chase, but no huge fighting anymore which is a relief. I've treated the whole tank with Melafix as one of the girls came off a little worse for wear, but she seems fiesty enough and has staked out the fake log so hopefully things will settle down now. They are in a tank that holds approx 50 litres.

Thats good to hear!, on the rare occasion they might fight again, its normal to see an odd flare hear and there or maybe a little chase (usually the dominate female asserting her rank), thats nothing to worry about. However in the rare occasion you might see them go at it, just separate them again for another hour. I haven't had a problem with fighting at all after using this method, its worked first time every time! :(

I took Brett's suggestion and tanked one of the dominant females for a few hours and then re released her into the tank. It worked. There is still the odd chase, but no huge fighting anymore which is a relief. I've treated the whole tank with Melafix as one of the girls came off a little worse for wear, but she seems fiesty enough and has staked out the fake log so hopefully things will settle down now. They are in a tank that holds approx 50 litres.

Thanks for that Brett. I just hope Bandit recovers ok, she took a caning.

I got up this morning to find the snail snacking on Bandit :wub: Sadly she didnt make it. I'm actually quite gutted. She was my little VT girl and the first to have bubs etc. Now I have just the two girls and I don't know whether I need to buy yet another female, or leave the two to their own devices.

I feel really bad because it was through my own stupidity that she got hurt in the first place. I'm hoping one baby in particular turns out to look like her, and I will keep it.

The two girls I have in the community tank at the moment havent killed each other, so when I get time, I will look at investing in a third girl.

Archived