Bettas bury themselves in the substrate to survive dry season?

splendidbetta

Well I knew they were hardy fish that could survive poor water quality and even live out of water temporarily, but apparently they also have the ability described below! I hadn't expected this :)

During the dry season, most Bettas are able to bury themselves in the bottom of their dried up habitat. There, they can live in moist cavities until water once again fills the depression during a rainy period. The fish can survive even if thick, clay mud is all that is left of the water. They do not survive total drying out of the bottom. (Vierke 1988)

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site..._splendens.html

Bettas are mostly found in the tropics I wouldnt think they would have to wait long for pond/rivers to refill doesnt mention the time period but i wouldnt have thought they could survive extended periods of time. Amazing still that they are so hardy and can live in mud!

It seems to stay pretty moist and humid where Betta sp. live, so they would not normally dry out or lack enough water for long. I can imagine them burying themselves in the silt and leaf litter at the bottom of their home. Their labyrinth organ would allow them to breath air as long as they remained moist enough.

Archived