Has anyone had a Biorb for a Beta?

branjie

I'm getting him the Baby Biorb, which is 15 Litres, so I don't think he'll have a long way to swim to the top. I'll make sure he's got a plant or two to rest on near the top if he likes, and I won't fill it the whole way.

Here's a photo of a Biorb if anyone's interested. It has a light in the lid, and a filter in the bottom part. There is a clear tube that comes up through the middle for the bubbles to flow up.

biorb.jpg

Harris Scarfe, here in the city, supply bio-orbs for betta - in fact they do a kit with the fish, all you need, and the orb - move quite a lot of them, too... my concern would be getting a net in suitable for a full size betta if you needed to pull him out for treatment, etc - they're fine for little things like neons, guppies and whiteclouds (then you just need the dexterity to catch them when they can move anywhere and you're reaching in through a hole in the top - no 'swipe' ability to catch 'em unawares... lol)

It'll be interesting to see Sebastian in his new home - I think it'll look cosy... :(

Stuart I'm thinking I'd be treating him for pretty much anything in the bowl. If I did need to take him out, I'd manage. Bettas are pretty easy to catch, I've used a plastic cup before. Harris Scarfe are selling theirs for $10 more than what I'm going to pay at Aggies. They also only have it in the black, and Aggies are ordering me in a silver one which is what I wanted. Thanks for letting me know about Harris Sarfe though.

I am buying a Biorb heater stand. There is a piece of plastic in the lid that you take out, then clip in the heater stand which is clear. The heater definitely detracts from the look of the Biorb, but I'll be using one for Sebastian. I'll just make sure the heater is on the side that's not going to be looked at as much, and put a plant near it or something.

can you get square versions?

To be honest, I've always been disappointed with bowls. The picture of the guppies to advertise that is not how they look in real life. You'll lose a substantial proportion of visibility of the fish due to the lens effect of the curved glass. If he's anywhere near the sides, you won't be able to see him from the front. Other times he looks warped and gigantic.

Sorry - hope I'm not party pooping on your idea. Just beware of the false advertising imagery on that picture.

They don't make square ones. I've been told about that warped view effect, but I think I can handle it. Won't know until I try. I love the look of this tank, it will add to the decor of my room. I think Sebastian will have a better view of things than he has from the cake box he's in now :). I hope he likes it.

jusdeb thanks, good to know that they look nice when they are set up. I've only seen them in boxes at LFSs and on the web. Can't wait to see mine when I get it.

Beano I'm going to put it on the entertaiment unit, on the top shelf. It's where I used to have my Betta Barracks. From there Sebastian can see our family room, our eating area, and our kitchen. Basically we're around there almost the whole time we're at home unless we're in bed. Sebastian tends to kind of follow be around the room. Whenever I'm around, he's at the part of the tank nearest to me saying hello (either that or is it feeding time?).

• 4 months later...

BiOrbs are silly tanks... and pricey as well. You would be better off getting a tank the same size or even larger for a much lower price. The BiOrb doesnt really have enough surface area, and they dont have a heater...

If i were you i would get a nice cheap tank (minimum of 10L), a small 25watt heater and maybe a filter, as long as it wont make too much current. I got an aquaone tank for $30 that i filled with about 14L.... my betta loves it.

The BiOrb is certainly made for looks over functionality, and would be a nightmare to clean. Not to mention expensive...

If i were you i would definitely go for a traditional rectangular tank!!

I cant stress enough how much better a regular tank is!

Archived