Should i get a heater?

DV.

I don't have a heater in my 2 foot tank at the moment and i was wondering if i should get one.

The water temp fluctuates between about 25 degC during the day to about 20 at night with the AC on.

Should i get a heater to stabilize the temp? and if I get one should i set the thermostat low (like 20 deg) and slowly ramp it up to 27 over a week?

Thanks

Yes, get a heater... well, hang on a mo... what's in the tank??? Actually, even if it's a cold water tank, it's still better to keep it stable, get a heater... if you *want* your temp to vary 'naturally', then it shouldn't drop more than 1-2 degrees at night, max... but generically, keep the tank at a stable temp and everyone will be healthier...

Personally, if you have nothing that *needs* 27, set it to 25 - that'll keep it stable with the least amount of electricity used... 25 or 27 is as suitable for most fish, but there is still less dissolved oxygen in the water at 27C...

Cheers,

Stuart

i only have some corys, a handful of neons and some glass shrimp. i haven't decided on what else yet, they'll be tropical though.

27 deg was just the temp the girl at the LFS told me. I'll get it tomorrow. Should i just set it at 25 stick it in and turn it on when the water's at 25 deg and leave it?

Is it a display tank? You could also consider insulating the tank more so that you lessened the heat loss overnight.

I'd lean towards a heater for stabilisation and to keep that temperature within the optimal range for the fish (cories would get a bit sluggish at 20*C, they are designed for warmer temps), but I doubt a heater would even come into play in summer.

I heat some tanks over autumn/winter/spring and just unplug over summer, so perhaps that is an option

Archived