How do you prevent ragged ends on CT fins?

branjie

Hi all,

I have a CT who used to be in my community tank. The very tips of his CT fins are a bit ragged and curled. I used to think it was because he had been in a community tank with a strong filter, but it hasn't improved since he's had his own tank for about a month. Today I've noticed that my new CT that I have had for a week in his own tank, is starting to get the same thing. I asked the LFS what they used in the water when I bought him, and they said ager and a couple of drops of broad spectrum (for 10L). I did this in his new tank when I got him home, but yesterday I did a water change without adding broad spectum, and now his fins are going ratty at the ends. It may be a coincidence. I'm not sure 2 drops of broad spectrum would do much. Just wondering if anyone has had this and knows what to do. Someone said to put them in direct sunlight for part of the day, but the tank is too heavy to move, and my toddler would be into the tank if it was anywhere else.

Sunlight seems to be the main thing that people recommend for this. Does he have good clean water with regular changes and good lighting?

What exactly is broad spectrum? Is it a medication? If so, what are the ingredients?

It sounds a bit like he has a type of finrot and that the broad spectrum stuff is just keeping it at bay and not actually fixing it. Weak CT rays shouldn't go ratty at the ends, they should just flop and bend. Ragged edges indicate something else.

Can you describe the ratty ends? Does it look like crumpled paper or burnt nylon rope, or frays ribbon?

• 2 months later...

I've done a fair bit of reading on this subject, and some of the Asian breeders say that it's a sign of age. It's my two oldest bettas that have this, so I'm thinking that may be the case. The other two are kept in the same conditions, and haven't had this happen (yet). Perhaps there is a genetic predisposition to this. I've tried bouts in the sun, but it hasn't really helped. They seem perfectly healthy. I'm just accepting it now.

Hi Branjie, one of mine has the same curled on the top (dorsal fin), broken and a "knot on each of 2 rays on the caudal fin. I got him for a birthday present in August. I thought it was a sign of fin rot at first as a one or two rays were actually broken and just hanging there so i gave him 2 1/2 doses of tetracycline, then down to pimafix and melafix for a month, with salt. Still no change. Meanwhile hes eating, etc, but a bit flat...

Celeste said to try the sun, wich i did, still no change. So i have come to the conclusion, along with Celeste, that he has a calcium deficiancy in his bones, and if he doesnt get a suppliment, the sun wont help. So its off to the reptile shop to get some calcium powder and put a tiny bit into his food once a week.

Something i have learnt- the finer and whispier a tail on a CT the weaker the bones- correct me if i am wrong anyone please??? :)

I dont know how old he is either...

I'd love it if you could tell me how you go with the calcium skeletalgirl. If it works, I'll definitely get some. Maybe yours was a bit flat from the meds or something. Mine has had fins like that for ages, and he's happy as Larry. A Betta I used to have had fins like that, and it didn't seem to bother him at all. Still, if there's a way of fixing it I'd definitely do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Branji- have been treating with calcium mixed into his food for the last week and a half. The change is just fantastic! He has 1 knot and 2 curls/kinks left! He is a CT so nearly every ray was mangled looking. 1cm of ray actually fell off but is growing back lovely. Hes building bubblenests and is active again. Great improvement, and i havent put him in direct sun, only natural bright daylight/well filtered. I recommend this to anyone.

I crushed a calcium tablet to a fine powder- only a little- and sprinkle it on his food every morn. :)

Archived