Wishful thinking? Half giant?

Beano

You might remember that yellow female I bought about 3 months ago for $4 (the one i thought was a boy, but she was a long finned female). Anyway, since then, she has grown to be quite large. I was wondering if it's possible if she were a half giant? She has a different look about her face (more gourami like) and she is quite tall (dorsally to ventrally) or thick if that's the more correct way of saying it. My next largest female is the first female I bought (the ugly one that only ever displays horizontal stripes).

Here is a picture for comparison. I can't get them both side on at the same time, but the yellow still looks bigger. What do you all think? (Just ignore the juvies, and apologies for the algae on the glass)

Yellowandugly.jpg

Yellowgirl.jpg

***EDIT - here is what she looked like when I first bought her home:

p4030001mq2.jpg

She's got a bunch of babies growing up as we speak. They're about 14 weeks old I think. I'm going to breed 2 of the offspring together to hopefully get gold babies, but it will be a super bonus if they turn out to be gold CT giants!

Really? I did the cross on paper and it seems like I would get 25% full giants with a sibling cross or a offspringxmother cross. Assuming the mother is half giant... she has one copy of a giant gene. So I bred her with my copper CT. So 50% of the offspring should have a single copy of the giant gene. If I were to cross 2 appropriate offspring together (each one having a single giant gene) then I would get 25% regular size, 25% full giants and 50% half giants. This would be the same if I were to cross an offspring with a single copy giant gene with the mother who we're assuming has a single copy giant gene.

Anyway, only applies if she is actually a half giant. She might just be a freakishly fat...

Yeah genetics are a tricky think. I see it like this... think of Chinese whispers (replace message with gene)... the further down the line you go the more distorted the message will become and it will be quite different from the original message.

If you go straight back to the source who you know who has it then you are getting a direct 'message'

Most genetics are based on probability... its not always accurate... so its possible to get a small fish when you cross 100% giant x a 100% giant.

I think that adds to the fun of it...its like a box of chocolates you never know what you gonna get! LMAO @ another lame joke by me!

Hi Beano,

Just did the genetics and i came up with the same as you 25% normal size... 25% giants... and 50% half. But this is assuming that you are working with pairs that are half giants . When they are fully grown it will be easier to tell as the phenotype is seen.

So theorictically it should be fine the cross you have done if both siblings are and can be seen as half giants

About half of them are much bigger than the other half of the fry. The other half are piddly small though, they could just be the usual runts I get when I spawn. Even if these "big" fry are half giants, they are still small for their age...

I hope they are anyway. We'll see what happens in my next spawn now that i have the multivitamins...

Just found this on another forum

The Giant Betta is a strain of Betta Splendens that is twice long as normal and weights 5 times as much as normal This strain can also be used to improve the size of Betta Imbellis, Betta Smaragdina. It has been developed by the Ratanapichets since 2000 at their farm at:

7/2 Muu 7 Tambon Khlongsong Amphoe Khlongluang Patumthani 12120

The Giant Bettas grown incredibly fast.

- 3 months: 3-4 centimeters long

- 6 months: 5-6 centimeters long

- 9 months: 7-8 centimeters long

When full grown they can reach 10 centimeters from head to tail The personality of the Giant Betta is the same as a regular Bettas except it's a little harder to breed.

From a male and female Giant Betta only about 10-30 percent of the spawn will be Giant. When breeding a Giant Betta with a normal betta the F1 spawn will be larger than normal but not more than 7

centimeters. F2 will have about 10% larger than 7 centimeters and F3 will have about 30% largern than 7 centimeters (when F2 and F3 are bred from the largest of the previous

spawn)

Source: nicebettas.com

Just thought it might help you out a bit

could be a half giant, i bought a wild type female from my LFS and she turned out to be a full giant! of course i didn't realize and gave away all her offspring ;)

the best way to check is that giants, and hence half giants are WIDER than normal bettas, they're very well built characters ;) a giant that's still growing (and is currently the same size as a normal betta) will weigh at least 2-3 times more than a normal betta of the same length ;)

she is quite beefy... she's very thick if you look front on as well. Compared to when I first got her - she was so slender back then. I hope she's half giant. I don't think she's full giant.

It would be awesome if she's half giant. Easy to breed, $4 half giant and yellow to boot!

Archived