Plants absorbing ammonia or nitrate or both?

So.. i've been doing these type of research on how effective do plants absorb ammonia or nitrate. However, due to the unreliable variety source of informations on the net I got confused. Some says that plants only absorbs nitrates, whilst others says ammonia and nitrates.

If aquatic plants only absorbs nitrates, then wouldn't it be useless to plant tank that are not cycled, especially like betta jars??

I have a 2x 1.5 gallon container each housed with a female betta, with no filter but placed with huge clump of java moss and one fern each.

So what do u guys think?

erwin

According to some experiments carried out by Diane Walstead (author of Ecology of the Planted Aquarium** and all-round plant guru), plants choose ammonia first, nitrite second and nitrate last. It is contrary to a lot of information out there, but when you look at how incredibly low or non-existant the ammonia and nitrite spikes are in cycling planted tanks, I tend to think that she's got the right idea. They will use all three, but as it becomes more processed it takes longer for the plants to get at it.

Stem plants or 'bunched' plants tend to be better at using nitrogenous waste than slower growing plants, but they all gotta eat. :lol: Do you have lighting on the bowls? The more things the plant has to help it thrive, the more it should require in the way of food. If you have light, consider hornwort, it is fantastic for sucking up nutrients :lol:

Are you trying to cycle the containers or just keep them more stable in between doing changes?

**I think that was the title. White book, picture of a soil base tank on the cover?

Unfortunately, my nearby LFS don't have hornworts ><.

I regularly changed the water in my 5.6 litre tank (1.5 gallon) about once a week.

Not planning to cycle them though, as they have no filter and no substrate, but i do have a cycle 2 x 9.5 litre tank and a 13 litre tank (all planted).

Thx for the info, i was just confused at most of the information sources from the net T_T. At least i'm relieved that the moss and ferns are keeping ammonia suppressed in those 5.6 liters.

Btw, i currently have no lighting for my 5.6 liters tank except my room light, do u think these mosses and ferns can die?

thx again :lol:

Moss will survive in *no* light - but it won't grow much... you want it to grow, or it won't use nitrogen... Numerous sources verify Callatya's information on 'which' nitrogen plants absorb first, but slow growing plants absorb less than fast growing plants - think of it this way, when you need to trim overgrowth out of your tank, every bit you throw out is nitrogen removed from your water column... I throw out a good, solid handful of nitrogen from my 60L planted tank every week... :lol:

Even with lights, plants still need trace elements, and a carbon source,to utilise those nitrogen sources... give them what they need, and they'll work hard for you in keeping your tank healthy...

Optimal growth... hmmmmm... *some* light, not a lot, but some light to generate growth - even a 5w compact fluoro in a desk lamp/clip on housing for a few hours a day would help it grow a lot - less than $10 at a discount store...

Use a good multi purpose aquatic fertiliser, like Tetra's Florapride, daily or once per week (different dosage, depends on how often you're doing water changes, too) $8 a bottle, will last years on a 5.6L tank...

Seachem Excel will help growth, but will cost you more than a $10 filter, so I guess that's out...

As long as there is a little light, and a nitrogen source, it will grow...

Archived