Using a betta barracks

paiyan

Hey everyone. I've got a barracks setup that can house 10 fish. Was just wondering if it's okay to pop all my fish in it. I've got 6 males and 4 females. Just worried that the constant exposure to each other might affect the males or females in terms of spawning. Thanks!

I think it would be ok. Do you have spare tanks to use if you wanted to condition a pair away from the others? You can also use aquarium backing in the barracks to stop them seeing each other. And if you put all the males on one side and all the females on the other side, then only one male can see one female, so they're the only ones that will get used to each other. And that's actually not that bad a thing with a spawning pair. I find that it can reduce aggression when you eventually put them together if they can see each other for a little while before.

Yes, I do have a couple of tanks that I was using to keep my fish in before I got my barracks. Never thought of using aquarium backing to stop them from seeing each other, genius! LOL! Been going around trying to find an opaque piece of plastic to block off my fish! Will rearrange my fish to get a pair into condition. Thanks for the help!

Yes, it's a shared water system. The barracks are designed with clearance between the compartments to allow for water flow. I haven't got much space for a filter system, so I'm down to frequent water changes, say once every 3 days or so?

Archived