My mini spawn tank

kitstyles

My gold dragons have been in the tiny spawning tank for about 2 weeks off and on. Not much aggression any more. They're just behaving like brother and sister. Wait, they probably ARE brother and sister :)

I think the concept with this spawning method is that you use 2 adults that are very ready and they start spawning almost straight away. The whole thing is supposed to be over in a few hours. BUT it doesn't always work out like that. My opaque x copper spawning was successful using this method. Although I did have some floating plants. That shouldn't make much difference though.

Don't know what the best size is. So far, I've had successful spawns in this 20cm cube; a 15x15x20cm; and a 30x20x20cm. I haven't tried anything larger. Not because I don't think it's worth trying, I just never had one available when I was itching to spawn something :) I don't know if there's such a thing as a "best" size. If the fish are ready, they'll do it regardless of the size of the tank. At least that's what I think now. Ask me again when I've done 50 spawns and I might have a completely different opinion. I think you should just give it a go in whatever tank you have available. And if you haven't got one available, just use a plastic basin like the Thais do.

Hey kitz how long is that heater you have in your mini spawn tank? if the tank is only 20cm high then you would have to have a smaller heater? thought most heater where about 25cm, have you got a mini size heater to go with your mini spawning tank?

Also a few more questions. How long do you keep the fry in this mini tank for to you put them in a bigger one and do you use a filter in the mini tank?

Thanks.

Brett

That's a AquaOne 25w heater... I haven't got any successs spwan in that tank yet.. now trying with the CT pair xD.. Bettarazzi successfully spwaned one of his pair once in the same size tank. If they really did spwan, you will have to add a sponge filter when the fry can swim freely. And It really depends how many fry you have in there if you want to know when to move them to larger tank... I can't answer you till I have a success spwan in this tank :P

Archived