Split peas ok?

panicFREAK

Ok so i was going to try and feed my bettas some pea today however we only have green split peas not whole peas. Also the split peas are in a packet in the cupboard not in the freezer.

So would these be ok to feed them if i microwave them for say 30 seconds and then shell them (if theres any shell on them)?

Just a change. Im sure they get sick of pellets and the occasional blood worm. Plus i've heard it prevents them getting constipated. How much should i feed them? I have 7 bettas all together so should i feed them all some pea on the same day?

I only use frozen peas, but from experience, they go almost *straight* through the fish... green pea in one end, green poo out the other... fantails, in particular, will chomp down pea after pea, and end up making a huge stringy green mess with 'em - if carrot did the same they could do green and orange christmas decorations on the plants though... :(

lol i generally use frozen peas, I just grab one and put it in an egg cup with a little water, microwave it for about 5 seconds lol if that... 1 normal frozen pea should be enough for 7 fishies, just make sure it's in bite size pieces (I usually just cut it with my fingernail - providing it's clean of course) and yeah do them all on the same day, makes it easier to keep track of who's had what :thumbs:

I sit mine on the end of a clean spoon, teaspoon if I'm only doing three or four peas, dessert spoon for more... leave 'em for a few minutes till they're thawed, then I nip the skin between thumb and index fingernails, tear it, and squeeze the peas out of the shell... I microwave zuchinni, brocolli, carrot, potato and lettuce to break them down, but don't bother with frozen peas, they're squishy enough already...

Yes - for herbivores and omnivores fresh 'plant' food is as good as live worms, etc, for the carnivores... vegies generally need blanching so they're easy to eat - especially the carrot, which I shave off long strands with a peeler, then nuke it for a minute or two in some spring water, attache to vegie clip and make carrot octopus with... they nibble at the edges and ends and trim their way in... brocolli needs steaming till it will sink, rather than float - I still use the vegie clip, as it hold it in one place and off the substrate - the platys, particularly, love brocolli and cauliflower...

Zuchinni seems to attract everyone - goldies, platys, guppies, and all the bottom feeders and algae eaters... as they all shred the inner flesh, torn bits get into the water column and the tetras and white clouds snap them up there...

Potato is a little harder - I slice, and nuke in a cup of spring water, but it has to be the right texture... too hard, nobody cares, too soft and it goes to mush as they eat it... bristlenose and cory's see this as a delicacy, and guppies and platys are fun to watch going full steam ahead nose first into it to get some too...

You can easily take a small piece of any vegies you're steaming to go with a meal, too - no salt, pepper or spices, and definitely no oils - but otherwise, chances are if you drop an edible vegetable into the tank, the fish will give it a go...

wow, that is one of the most interesting things ive read lol... i dont do much reading. im going to have to give it a try next time mum makes veges steamed. okay so ill never try it :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived