Fish keeps sinking to the bottom of the tank?

SanSuprimo

My betta keeps sinking to the bottom of the tank? He finds it difficult to swim up to the top so i've lowered the water level and put a couple of extra plants in their for him so he can sit in them?

What could be a possible cause for that? and is their anything that i can do to help him?

sounds like a swim bladder disorder (SBD). In fry, it is linked to eating bbs for too long, In adults, one cause is thought to to be overfeeding. Like Abbey posted in another thread, never feed more than about the size of their eye.

Unfortunately it is permanent, but tends not to affect their quality of life too much. As long as they can still eat without competition they will get to their food, and the surface to breathe, in good time. Sounds like you've done the right thing, lowering the water level and adding some plants.

One other possibility is constipation. I have heard other people speak of it, but have never actually had a betta with it (and I have had a LOT of bettas! Just good luck I guess). anyway the treatment is apparently the squashed insides of a pea. That's worth a try.

Good luck!

make sure it's a cooked pea :) then just pop it out of it's shell and cut into bite size pieces :P

Sometimes a swim bladder problem isn't permanent, I had a girl with a swim bladder problem, in that her tail would pull her down and she couldn't swim straight... in any case it seemed to right itself after a few weeks but it was a bit scary for a while :P she's fine now.

another thing it could be is just age... you're doing everything right so far :P

I just feel sorry for him because he looks like he's having a real hard time trying to get to the surface he's eating fine 2 pellets at a time twice daily. Looks healthy enough just the sinking bit! I will try the pea idea and see if that helps him at all.

Archived