OMG Baby Bristlenose *faint*

We've had the 3 Bristlenose for ages and nothing ever happened and we were told that the male was too old. Just now I fed them and was watching and suddenly saw something moving - A baby bristnose. Well I almost fell off my seat and then I looked and well ;) I saw another one.

Do I have to provide special food for them? (the fry that is)

We have a power filter in the tank. There is also an old half blind angelfish in there too and over recent weeks most of the plants have either died or come loose. I feed the angelfish bloodworms and the bristlenose eat them and they get algae wafers. I'll make sure to put in a couple of wafers daily now I know there are fry in and around the males cave.

Well we moved the Angelfish the other day leaving the three adults and their fry. It looks like more than one spawn because some are bigger than others. They are hard to spot because our gravel is mostly black with the odd light coloured stones amongst it.

Will Betta females tolerate Bristlenose ? I was thinking of maybe putting some of the young ones in with the girls when they are a lot bigger.

If you want to skip the waiting for the lettuce to go 'manky', soak it in some boiling water first, or throw it in the freezer, let it freeze for a few hours, then defrost it... the cellular bond is then broken and the BN's can devour it... interestingly, Guppies go wild for squishy lettuce, too...

Typo in my above post was supposed to be: "Don't let it go Manky" i.e keep the water very clean - as we all know not to let fish water go manky!

Yeah, frozen Lettuce leaves are best, so is blanched zucchini :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well they are going great so far but it's almost impossible to clean the tank. I tried syphoning up some of the gunk of the gravel and got a baby but found out soon enough to stop and let it drop out back into the tank.

They go nuts for the wafers and I still add bloodworms as a treat. Not sure if they are eating them.

There is a huge variation in sizes though suggesting they've been spawning for a while and we never noticed

Archived