hornwort

Hornwart is a great, fast growing and extremely hardy plant, it has gotta be the toughest plant out there in my opinion. It will grow and thrive on next to no light, no added fertilisers and is said to excrete a chemical toxic to algae.

It grows great in coldwater and tropical aquariums, goldfish dont eat it either!!

10/10 reccomendation :dontknow:

Goldfish *do* eat it... once they get big and hungry enough... :dontknow:

I got a huge serve of it off an ebay seller, and have previously had good serves from another one up in Qld... I generally throw away a handful a week, otherwise my tanks would be clogged...

It doesn't seem to stop the algae - if it did, I'd be worried for my algae eaters... it DOES soak up nitrates at a huge rate, and can out compete algae easily...

Elodea is more commonly used in small containers, as it's not such a fast grower - hornwort/foxtail is very 'thready', so grows quick on what it's absorbing...

Pisces Enterprises DO supply Hornwort - they supply a lot of decent, aquatic plants... the problem is all the retailers seem to buy is the cheap, non aquatic stuff that they all sell - if they sell hornwort to you once, they'll never sell any more... if they sell an aluminium plant bunch, you'll be back in a month to 6 weeks for more...

Anchored down, you can make it look like a conifer - allowed to float free, it's a great surface hiding spot for fry...

I'd give it a 10 out of 10 as well, it's a no brainer if you want easy plants...

Hmmm..... well I wonder what I'm doing wrong with my hornwort then? I find that it sheds all of it's lower leaves which then rots in the tank. It's leaves also seem stiff and my fish don't really go near it. I mostly use water sprite now. It seems to grow much better for me. It forms thick floating clumps which my females can hide in when they're spawning.

i hope its no more then 7 dollars a bunch because 7 dollars is all i have tell i go back to work which could be either this weekend or next mid week lol.

i dont think i've seen it at any LFS's. but i could be wrong? does anyone know of st george or auburn has it? i suppose i could ring and ask, but im lazy.

sounds like a good plant for me lol.

hahaha mike you cant seem to grown anything these days, whats goin on?

$4.90 for way more than any 'bunch' you'll get in an LFS, but $5.50 for freight (three containers of plants go on the one freight charge though...):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...p;rd=1&rd=1

10 good strands for $2, with $8 freight - but each item after is only $2 freight...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/10-x-FOXTAIL-aquari...1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers,

Stuart

Michael are you planting it? remember its free floater. Ive never had luck actually planting it.

Not planting it. Just letting it float. The growing tip is ok. It melts from the bottom end. And it does it fast. The needles go everywhere. They're all still rotting in the corner box filter. I keep meaning to clean it out. Lucky I'm not a clean freak. I'm more of a filthy freak. But even for me the rotting hornwort needles are a bit concerning. Mind you I've got rotting IAL in there which I don't seem to care about.

i think perhaps pH or softness/hardness causes the rot. It goes gangbusters in 99% of my tanks (all under identical lighting cinditions) and started rotting off in one. I added some shell grit and voila - no more rotting.

Ned, it has a growing end and a non-growing end which is what I meant by the bottom. Yes, I could trim it off. But since I don't reckon my fish particularly like it anyway, I can't be bothered with it. I never see my fish resting or taking refuge in hornwort compared to water sprite.

Archived