? about water change %s

I'm hoping the barracks will be up and running this coming weekend but it seems to be taking longer and longer and way too long for my liking.

The lovely RB HM male that I bought from Najrick's isn't looking particularly happy right now and isn't eating. Unfortunately thanks to things taking so darn long I had to shuffle jars and his jar is in the spawning tank where his brother is (sure that isn't helping). Also I haven't been able to do adquate water changes (I can only do like 10% max) because of limited heated replacement water.

If I pre heat the water - What % of his water can I change?

Wouldn't you just get a suitable container, say a rubbermaid bin from Bunnings for $10-$20, fill it with water, add ager, and pop a cheap heater in there, so you have as much preheated water on hand when you need it?? Even just a covered bucket, or 20L drum would ensure you had water when you wanted it, and would ensure you can do changes whenever you need to...

I go all out - I have a planted 4' tank for water aging and storage!

I believe that large water changes are stressful to any fish, including bettas. but if you have them in 1 - 2 litres you'd want to be doing significant, frequent changes, as that's the lesser of 2 evils (ammonia being the other). Hence the question re the jar size.

Me too. I bought a couple of food grade 20L buckets from Bunnings for $9 each. Stuck a heater in there and an airline to keep the water flowing. Voila! Heated, dechlorinated (I add dechlorinator when I refill) water available the whole time. If I leave it long enough (which is quite often :)), the water even gets aged. Easy peasy.

Before I had the dedicated water buckets I would just boil a kettle and add just enough to the new water (in the bucket, not in the tank) for the water temp to be the same.

If you're keeping him in a small jar, the water is probably getting foul pretty quickly. I'd get him out of there and into something larger, pronto. You might be different, but I find that by the time I notice that my betta is not doing so good it's starting to get too late to save him.

We have several 20 litre plastic bottles but they have algae (not dangerous but unsightly) but they get used for the rain water. The barracks will have a filter and a 4ft heavily planted tank.

I had been planning on having a small 3ft tank filled with aged water and heated for the water changes for the imports. Well that tank is still sitting on top a regular 3ft tank so that was out.

Archived