Moving Tanks?

horse_gambler

I bought my two female Betta's a new tank as I was not happy with the other one (it wouldn't stop foaming)

now what I need to know is how do I move them from the tanks, I have to wait until to night to move them so that the other tank will have sat for 24 hours. But I'd like to clean up the tank they are in to return it, can I put them back into their cups, or will this cause trouble when they get put back into a tank together? which water do I use to fill the cups the new tank or old tank water?

If you need to keep them out of both tanks for a few hours while one is getting cleaned and the other is cycling, then I suggest that you put them in something a little larger than cups. Maybe some large glass jars if you've got them or plastic soda bottles will work as well. If you use see through containers you can put the containers next to each other so the girls can still see each other. But actually, I don't really think being separated for a few hours will really cause that much problem. Use the old tank water and when the new tank is ready you could gradually mix some of the new water into the cups. But you know what, if it was me I would just dump the girls into the new tank. A tank doesn't cycle without fish in it so as long as you have dechlorinated the water it should be ok. But that's me, I'm a bit gungho about these things. Let's see what the others say.

Foaming?? Could it be the dechlorinator you're using, rather than something in the tank? some do foam up.

if you're jarring them, use the water they are already in (ie the old water).

I wouldn't dump them into unaged tapwater, myself. Perfect recipe for finrot, at least in Australia. Also the pH can swing quite significantly in the first 24 hours after you

how will you keep the cups warm? Can I suggest that you put them in a bucket or at least an ice cream container, so they are not in a tiny volume of water where the temp can fluctuate? Siphon the water they are in into the bucket, then put them in it. When you're ready to add them to the new tank, you can float them in cups until the temp adjusts.

Or why not just use the water from the old tank to fill the new tank, and pop them straight across?

Well I ended up doing other things so they remained in their tank, now can I just move them from one tank to another? both tanks are in the same room and the current temp is 26 I've never used heaters in my tanks and my other betta seems ok. the new tank has sat for 24 hours running through the filter with the water conditioner in it as per the instructions on the tank box.

Just curious I purchased freezed dried bloodworms for the girls (george doesn't like them) they are ok to feed as treats only or as a meal?

Or why not just use the water from the old tank to fill the new tank, and pop them straight across?

I didn't want to use the water from the old tank just incase it has something to do with the water that was causing the foaming I figured clean new water would be better

OK, good thinking with the water. I haven't used freeze dried bloodworms before but I try to feed my fish a range of foods ie several types of dry food, some frozen food, some live food. Theoretically everything is a treat in that noting is a staple food. But the fish do seem to eat the live food with more relish. So I guess that falls more under the 'treat' category. To try and answer your question in a less roundabout way: yes, you could use freeze dried bloodworms as a regular food but I'm not convinced that your fish will get all their nutritional needs. So try them on some other foods as well eg. Hikari Betta Bio-Gold.

can you purchase a small amount of live food or how would that work?

I moved the girls over to the new tank and they are having a ball swimming around exploring, now I have to find something to put behind the tank as it sits infront of a mirror and I don't want them to wear themselves out with the reflections (plus its hard to get pictures without my reflection in them lol)

You can usually get a half serve of brineshrimp or blackworms. But I have to say that if you can get your fish to eat dry food it's easier all round. Dry food is clean and doesn't carry bacteria like live food does. And it's easier and cheaper for you as well. Live foods is definitely something for treats or if you're finding that you just can't condition your fish for spawning by using dry food only.

do your girls seem to not like the taste of the pellets or are the pellets rather large?

If the pellets are on the bigger side you can try crushing them or breaking them into smaller pieces for the girls (I've had to do this for some boys as well before) If they'll eat the pellets crushed up chances are the pellets are a bit big for them to chew up.

G.day Angeli how are you

A trick i use i went and bought a little cheap pepper grinder from the supermarket it was only a couple of bucks and i filled it with betta pellets and you give a couple of twists over the tank and wolla smaller food, i did this when i was weening my 4 week old fry from live to dry

actually while were on the subject of food, i was brousing through aqua bid about 6 weeks ago and doing a lot of salavating i might add i checked out the accesory section and found ATISONS BETTA FOOD it sounded really good so i bought some i bought the atison's betta starter which is a very fine fry powder and i also bought the atison's betta pro which is a half size pellet

some of my betta's prefer the pro to normal pellet's

has any one else tried this product

BB

when you transfer the fish over to a new tank with new/different water would be to float the fish (in their original tank water) and once the temperatures are even, slowly add a little of the new water to the jars they are floating in to help acclimatise them (do this a few times over a period of time) to help avoid shock. Thats how I tackle the situation anyway.

So I went to petsmart to look at different food for the girls, and low and behold two new girls just jumped into my basket, so I had to bring them home :) The girl at petsmart recomended trying the flakes for the girls as that is what they feed them so I picked some up and the girls ate them.

Archived