? Female to male ratio

Yeah I know I'm planning ahead (mayb a bit far) even though my two pairs I have prepped currently haven't spawned.

I'm planning to do as many spawns as I can all going well. If I have 12 males on hand. How many Females should I have because I'm worrried I won't have enough to not spawn them to death over Summer.

:)

Bargain for 200 fry per spawn. You'll probably get less, but if you factor in 200, that should be safe. I know where you are going, and be very careful. It is so so easy to burn out when spawning, it is so much work!

What types are your males likely to be? Do you have an end goal of something specific or just nice offspring?

I think I'll have some thing like 7 to 10 grow out tanks. Ranging in Size from 2ft to standard 3ft and sizes in between. So far I've got 2 multi coloured CT males, A Yellow VT male and the 2 RB HM.

In theory I have comming - 1 RB HM male, 1 RB DT HM, 1 RB Marble CT and a Multi Coloured OHM Male and a RB DT HM . The DT pair are solely to work on finnage. I have put down a note for Greens but don't expext that JL will have found any for me but making room Just in case.

I'm going to work on RB HM, RB Marble CT and Multi Coloured CT at this stage but I may drop one and try something else but don't know yet.

I have 3 sibbling females that I bought from Najrick's for the HM line and a RB CT with red wash for the Marble Line. I have a red/purple CT female for the multi coloured line and a female who isn't fully colooured up. The DT HM girl that's coming in will go to the HM and Marble CT lines.

I don't think anyone can really give you a formula for the number of females you need to have for every male. They're not like guppies or swordtails, where you might say have 2-3 females for every male kept in the same tank. You're going to keep your males and females separate and you're going to decide who breeds with whom and how often. The number of females you have sounds fine to me.

So long as you have atleast one female avaliable to spawn with your chosen male, it dosnt matter how many females u have. If you have another male you wish to breed and no matching female, just get another one. :cheer:

Right now I'm okay but I wouldn't have to have many females die with/without spawning to be in hot water. If my RB CT and RB DT HM females die then unless I have several spawns from them already (before they die) my RB Marble CT line would be dead in the water and the multi coloured CT line is only slightly better.

So I keep worrying whether I should have a couple of extra females or the ability of sourcing extras so that I don't have my CT lines fall in a heap suddenly.

It is a genuine worry. But i cant see how anything can be dead in water. If you want a new fish, just tell someone and u will have another fish asap. Plus they are in Petshops everywhere now. If you need something, just get it :cheer:

I don't think you should worry so much. By all means get a few spares if it will put your mind at ease. There are no guarantees that you'll be able to spawn your fish before they die. No matter how many you have. I don't think anyone has come up with a tried and true method for predicting how many fish will live or die. But go ahead and get a few more females. Steel x Turquoise will give you all Royal Blues. That's what you should be looking for in terms of colour.

Archived