Things In My Tank!

Celeste84

i was watching a one week old baby apple snail today (it survived the adult fish in there LOL) and i noticed these THINGS in my tank! they look like naupilii except are white. they stick to the tank walls and move in short little bursts just like naupilii, except it's a freshwater tank, there has NEVER been an introduction or brine shrimp eggs to the tank and there are HUNDREDS of them! i mean it! once i looked closely they were all over the tank walls! they aren't on any of the fish, and the fish don't seem to notice them at all. help! what are they, will they hurt my fish, and how do i get rid of them if they do?? they're way too small to photograph unfortunatly :<

cyclops are an infusoria (IMO) and when small enough are eatable by fry, but once grown make an excelltent food for adult fish. however, alot of ppl have reported small white wormlike things in their tanks, and have come to the conclusion that they are an infusoria of some kind, and not harmful to fish. if u want to get rid of them, i'd suggest a tank scrub and it should be fine, otherwise, just let them be, and I'm sure they'll eat extra alagae and stuff :)

They're predatory and/or filter feeding copepods. If the movement is jerky that's prolly what you've got. Check out a video here and see what you think. They're great food for adult fish although may not be safe for fry - I've read some old American articles atributing fry mortality in American lakes to cyclops predation.

nope, definitly not worms. the DO look exactly like those cyclops thingies though :) altho they're only the size of naupilii, so i'm guessing they'll get bigger and my girls will eat them?? no fry in that tank ever, so not a big problem there :)

yeah, freshly hatched brine shrimp naupilii. i know there's more than one type of naupilii, but since BS is used so prevalently throughout aquarium hobbyists i didn't think many others would think of anything but BBS ^^;

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought it was "nauplii' not "naupilii"? Or did I miss an "i" when I was learning about BBS? :lol:

i've always seen it spelt "naupilii" but then again that was mostly in scientific articles and could be spelt differently (i.e. naupilii artemia) than when referring to naupilii in general :thumbs: and lilli, i know a good saying about assumptions, assume = ass, u and me. :applaud: i should learn to be more specific really LOL

so i'm guessing they'll get bigger and my girls will eat them??

it depends on the species - some stay so small adult bettas have to be pretty hungry to bother with them. I'd take it as a sign you've got a healthy, well cycled tank since the cyclopses (plural :applaud: ) are feeding on smaller microbes that have grown on the tanks wastes.

Oh and btw (not being picky but) 1 nauplius many nauplii (sorry Celeste :thumbs: ).

NP peter, i took my speeling from the internet LOL and wee all knoz how edmucated that ez ROFL! i only use rain water in my tanks as the local water is so heavily treated with chemicals that even people can't drink it :P and i add IA leaves to it as well, it's well planted, has few fish and snails (for it's size), a large bubble wall, a nice big light and a big filter :) i'm adding in a uv steralizer when i get it since this tank has been infected lately :<

Archived