Crustaceans In Native Fish Tank

VickiPS

I've posted below about the 2ft cube tank I've just set up. So far, I've stocked it with crimson-spotted rainbows (M. duboulayi), one Empire gudgeon and a bunch of tiny "feeder" gudgeon (firetails, I guess). Still to come are a couple more Empire gudgeon, M. splendida, M. nigrans and some Pacific blue-eyes (Pseudomugil signifer 'Harvey Creek'). I'm wondering about crustaceans. My SiL asked could we have a yabby or two, but I don't know how they'd get along with the fish, and I've read that they can tear up the vegetation in a planted tank. Any advice? If not yabbies, I thought about some freshwater shrimp -- which the fish can eat or not, as they choose :)

Mmm. I'll see what the LFS can come up with. I figure if this is going to be a biotope tank, then it's probably worth keeping a couple of tubs going as QT tanks for feeder gudgeon and shrimps. Cheap enough to replenish as necessary, but if they survive in sufficient numbers in the main tank to maintain a population, wonderful! Might be worth chucking in some blackworm too, maybe, and seeing if any last past a meal? :)

I saw FW crabs last week!! I want FW crabs, they were hilarious. However a mudskipper is first in line. yet, it falls behind the turtle my daughter has been asking for, for the past 4 years!! I am trying to convince her Mudskippers are tops! but it's not working <_< I have to look after it, I think my say is worth 80%! Maybe a small tank setup for Crabs would be a better option? I am not sure what the crabs would do. Aren't crabs omnivores? (closet piscivores no doubt) I know hermits are.

I bought a dozen feeder shrimp yesterday and popped them in -- we'll see if any survive or actually manage to breed. The little feeder gudgeons I put in are happily scooting around the bottom and making themselves at home. The tank looks like a real habitat now <_<

aww that's great hear!! feeder gudgeons, are they not identified yet? too small? Good luck with the shrimps. Everytime I put shrimps from the river in my tanks all they did was grab hold of the fish and eat their fins.. shredders <_<. More than likely a different species and mine were 6-8cm! Littles ones would be so much fun to watch when they come out at night! Please post more photos, I want inside that tank! (not the camera, but me!)

The feeder gudgeons are teeny, but I'm guessing they're mostly firetails. The little shrimp are 2 - 4cm long, so they'll have their work cut out fighting off the biggest of the rainbows. Just like nature, in fact <_<

Cool <_< Amazing that you get gudgeons in feeder tanks, all I get is those funny deformed barbs. Must be looking in the wrong places. Rainbows are swift too, so they will have to catch them first :lol:

Wouldn't you know it --- I'd just decided to go with shrimp (easier to cope with, I thought, plus I've never seen crabs at the LFS). Anyway, just filled my bag with shrimps, paid and was walking out when a guy came out behind me carrying bags with the CUTEST little crabs -- chubby little things, sort of a light sandy colour with a solid black marking on the top of the shell. Dang! Anyway, I can still see a few shrimp lurking round the bottom of the tank, and they seem to suit the habitat, so I'm happy :dance:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived