How To Cycle A New Tank?

Erren

I just bougt a new 2 foot tank for my betta yay :lol: . Will make a plastic mesh divider and etc. I was wondering how do i cycle the tank or speed up the cycling process. What do i need to do with the new tank. Obviously i won't put my betta in the new tank coz couples year ago i did put 9 female in and they died within a week or so due to disease. I would be appreciate if anyone could help me here. Thank you

Do you have a spare filter already running in another tank? If you have another tank already set up then you can steal water and plants and the filter, or some filter wool, from that tank and have an almost instant cycle. Otherwise, you have to start with one or two hardy fish of the type you're going to keep in there and build up the good bacteria in the filter slowly. You need fish to poop and build up the ammonia levels a little so that good bacteria can start to grow and deal with it but not so much that it harms the fish and not so little that it does nothing... tricky balancing act. I've got 14 girls in a 2ft tank which I instantly cycled and they're perfectly happy... you need to start with disease free fish and quarantine any new arrivals for a long, long time.

also you can use a fishless method where you add the ammonia yourself. Any plain ammonia (with no additives/fragrances etc) is ok. You just add a bit of ammonia daily which will allow a colony of good bacteria to build up and establish the biofilter. After a couple of weeks you should be able stop the ammonia and start slowly adding fish. Make sure your ammonia readings are at 0 before doing this though.

I'm a big fan of fishless cycling when you don't have a spare mature filter, sponge, media etc to use. Google on "fishless cycling" to find plenty of sites withh specific instructions on how to go about it. I've had great success whenever I've used the method, but you just have to be patient :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

i have read through the fishless cycling in the library. Sound a lot of work and time consuming actually. What i did is basicly these for brand new 2 foot tank today: - I took water from my cycled 2 foot tank (25%) and poured it in the brand new tank + brand new aged water - I put two internal filter from my old tank (really dirty) in the brand new tank - I also put all the dirty sponge filter into the tank - heater - put the nutrafin baterial addictives in It has been run for a day basicly. Anybody knows when the tank is ready basicly? and by the way, is it ok if i replace 25% of the water and put another 25% of water from my cycled tank next week? Is it ok if i put 3 small b/n in sometime in this week?

i have read through the fishless cycling in the library. Sound a lot of work and time consuming actually. What i did is basicly these for brand new 2 foot tank today:

- I took water from my cycled 2 foot tank (25%) and poured it in the brand new tank + brand new aged water

- I put two internal filter from my old tank (really dirty) in the brand new tank

- I also put all the dirty sponge filter into the tank

- heater

- put the nutrafin baterial addictives in

It has been run for a day basicly. Anybody knows when the tank is ready basicly? and by the way, is it ok if i replace 25% of the water and put another 25% of water from my cycled tank next week?

Is it ok if i put 3 small b/n in sometime in this week?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sound like you're on the right track, Erren.

If you have used mature filters from the old tank, your new tank should be okay to start adding fish. No need to do the water change next week with water from your old tank, just used new (aged) water. Old tank water doesn't carry many beneficial bacteria, and if the old tank is still full of fish, the water will have nitrates etc, which your bristlenoses won't appreciate.

So basicly i could try to put the small b/n into the tank now? By the way, i also put the bio balls and ceramic rings from my old tank into the brand new tank. I set the heater at 30 degree. Thx for your reply :blush: ps: I didn't put the dirty sponge into the brand new tank but i squeze all the mud smelly stuff in the brand new tank. I basicly rinsed 2 of my old tank's sponge using the water in the brand new tank. Water was so dark but has cleared up this morning :giggle: !

Archived