Water Conditioner

Bekkaz

I was just wondering what water conditioner you have found to be the best. I'm having some trouble with my fish's tail, and am wondering whether the conditioner I'm using is affecting it. The pet shop recommended Prime, and it says on the bottle to use 2 drops for every 4 L. I've since looked at a few other products which recommend 5mL/L and thought it was quite a big difference....is Prime worth using?

How long are you letting the water sit before you use it Bek? Personally I believe that no matter what conditioner you use, unless you also physically age the water for at least 3 days (preferably with an airstone) and add banana leaf, IAL or similar, finrot will be a problem. I use a pond conditioner, just because it is the best value for money.

It's aging more than 3 days. I refill the bucket as soon as I do a water change, which I'm doing at about 75% at the moment every 4-5 days. I was doing 100% until I read that it stresses the fish out, and with my boy as hyperactive as he is I was having trouble catching him anyway. I definitely need to get some of those banana leaves though, might have to get my parents to get some leaves from their banana trees and post them to me. Thanks for that. May I ask what an airstone is :lol:

May I ask what an airstone is  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a small porous stone that you attach to the end of an airline (which is attached to an air pump :lol: ). When the pump is running the airstone disperses lots of little bubbles into the water. It's useful for agitating and circulating the water, helping to keep it fresh and oxygenated. You can get the same effect without the airstone -- just run an airline into the water.

PS. Prime is a very good product, especially if your tanks aren't filtered, but as Lilli said, any good water conditioner will do the job. I use "Aqua Star", available from Age of Aquariums, as it's very economical (15 drops to 70 litres).

I use Ammolock (can't go wrong with 1 drop per litre) and IAL or blackwater if i run out of the leaves. Could it be your area is experiencing a different water quality at the moment (ie have you recently had heavy rains, etc)?

Northside Brissy water is fair to good .I age buckets as well as adding conditioners then use after a few days I cycle my jars every three days with 100% water changes. I really need to try banana or almond leaf as everyone highly recomends it. Levil three restrictions comming in soon and our dams are still shrinking, did you know brisbane betta enthusists have the grenest lawns and healthiest pot plants.

Poor Bekkaz is in Brisbane, suffering the same crappy water as a lot of us....  :hug:

Although, I wonder what Bakerman uses in his water??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the water isn't too bad, even with the scarily low dam levels.

Bakerman filters all his water through charcoal with a nifty bucket filter arrangement. Not sure what, if any, conditioner he uses.

Archived