How To Differentiate Hmpk And Plakat

Erren

I usually look for the ray branching in the caudal fin. Also, traditional plakats usually have a longer more pointed anal fin, but this isnt a very definite thing to look for. Also just general fin shape. I will see if i can dig up som photos for you :)

I get confused with the whole naming of plakat fin types, but understand them all. As far as i can work out, a HM plakat should have a 180* spread, but what about a plakat from a HM spawn that has less than a 180* spread, would that be a delta/superdelta plakat? Like how do you differentiate between that and a modern show plakat. Then you have Traditional plakats with wild type spread and with an almost 180* spread. Then there seems to be HM plakats from Longfin HM lines, then ones from HM plakat lines. Just too many :)

I've never seen pks listed with tail types (as SD's etc).. the exceptions being the HM and DT's. A lot of non-HM (ie not 180 spread) are listed as HM but I read that the same way SD's were listed as HM's for a long time with the long fins because they came from HM parents.

Soon we will be posting up on the site some illustrations differentiating between the tail types, including HMPK and Trad PK. I don't want to give too much away, but wait til you see the series of drawings, they are just :) (and none of us girls drew them, so we're not taking any of the credit!). :) Anyway my interpretation is that a HMPK should basically look like a HM, but with short fins except the ventrals, which must be long and not too thick. Like a baby HM with mega ventrals! More an oval than a circle though (IMO a good HM should fit within a circle) A Trad PK has a long, pointed anal fin, and the tail is more of a spade shape than the D shape A HMPK has. Hopefully Jodi or Todd will step in and tell me the bits I got wrong... :((

Archived