Giant Plakat Collection

Erren

Just joined this forum yesterday. I'm from Melbourne and has 10 giant betta. 9 male and 1 female. I got it from a friend of mine who imported their parents from overseas. Raising them from a fry and now its about 2 mths old. Male currently reach 7-8cm. Its about double the size of full grown normal male plakat. Female about 6-7 cm now. I've seen their parents and male parent has reached up to 14cm the last time i saw and female parent has reached 12cm or so. Male parent has wider and thicker body.

This is the attached picture of my favourtie 2 mths old giant to compare with full grown normal female plakat. Its about triple the size. I got about 5 males which roughly have similar colour. All have dark blue/purple base and some has red fin and some has blue.

Posted Image

ps: thx, picture successfully uploaded

correction: The female is indeed siblings of the giant. But i would classified her as fail due its size which is about 2cm shorter than female giant. But yes, she has giant DNA.

I will try to borrow a normal full grown female plakat in future to compare with a giant. Normal female plakat definitely smaller than the female in the picture.

Update: This guy has gone away. *RIP*

Will update with some pictures. Anybody could teach me how to get a best picture using a digital cameras?. I took almost 20-30 shots and only get this as the best one. erghh :lol: . My camera focusing on the background instead of the fish, making it blurry pic.

yeah, it is huge. My male just started flaring few days ago. The picture was taken about 2-3 weeks ago before he start flaring. Bad news is, male giant cannot be kept in communicity tank with tetra, swordfish, guppies, bristlenose, catfish, etc. I lost 9 tetras in just few minutes. Giant started swimming like snake... then...all of suddent....zzzzzzppppptttt..... 1 tetra...zzzzzzppppttt 2 tetra.....zzpppttt....3 tetra... etc. kind of regret didn't trained them earlier coz my other 5 is suitable in community tank with lots of female betta as well. I did put the other 5 in community tank when i got them.

Update: The trio have been sold to "Daisyduck"

This the giant from same parents as well. Different batch and the latest one. A bit younger than the others. 1 cm smaller in size. I got 9 male giant and this is the only 1 that has different colour. It has a bit of metalic light blue colour and masked face!. A spoon head as well. Didn't know how to flare yet even to female.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally, this is the only female giant i have. Sadly from hundreds of fry in my friend's tank, only about 30 giant survive. Amazingly only 1 is female. This is the only female survive and make it. Very proud to have her. To make it worse, just got a phone call from my friend that the female parent has pass away :lol: . Basicly, only ended up with 1 female to rely on now. Hopefully this female could pass on about 30 giant male offsrping in future. This giant female is almost the same size as male. Bloated belly but slimmer body shape compare to male.

Update: Has been sold to fishngym

Posted Image

This is the Red metalic giant. Imported from Eugene, Bettatrills in Singapore via someone. Age unknown . Size is approximately 5.5cm. Has been sold to fishngym as well to free up some spaces.

Posted Image

Update: The female giant is a lesbian. I have tried to put her in breeding tank with a mature giant from a friend of mine since her belly was bloated and full of eggs. She is about 3 mths old now by now. I think she is not ready yet but she was very bloated as if it will exploded. Full of eggs. Spawn was fail as she is indeed not ready and kept run away from male. Left them in breeding tank for 5 days with no result. Return her to female tank and guess what? she wraped with other female and release lots of eggs!. Can't believe it. Its really weird. Kind of worried that she will permanently be a lesbian. ergghh... :cheer: . What happened to my female giant :welcome: . 1 lesbian, 1 normal and 1 bisex!!

its definitely female wrapping with female. There is 2 different eggs coming out from wrapping. One is smaller and the other one is bigger from my female giant. Its hundreds of the coming at the same time. Its not just fish with full of eggs but i saw it coming out from both of them. I wish i could take a picture of them. But anyhow, the female is on the picture. The last picture that i posted here. There is 3 female on the picture and basicly the giant female on the picture is wrapping with the female on the background. I'm 100% certain that the female on the backgroung is female as well as i have saw that female wrapping with one of male giant belong my friend. If the female is in fact a male then i guess, the male giant belong to my friend is a gay :blush: and which also conclude my female on the background is bisex ;)

• 1 month later...

As mentioned in first page. My favourite giant plakat has past away. he commit suicide by jumping out of tank. He managed to jump out of the small hole used for heater and filter lead.

Anyway, enough of the sad story. I thought i might want to share some more picture. The giant on the 1st page of this thread (2nd picture) has grown a lot!. I mean a lot. From 7 cm at 2 months old. He is now 11 cm at almost 4 months old!. The biggest, longest, heaviest giant i got. He is the biggest from any batch of the same parents (imported from Eugene, Bettatrills in Singapore). Male parent has died unfortunately at 14cm (1 year and 4 mths old).

I guess my boy could beat his dad record size at just 4 mths old he is already 11cm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

He is the one on the right by the way. Not a good picture. That is a picture comparing him with his son!. Can't really show the size in the picture but just for illustration; he actually cannot fit in the single betta barrack (plastic). I need 2 slots to fit him in as he is longer than 1 slot barrack. I'm giving him a 30cm tank alone by the way. I put him in the barrack to take picture

Moving along, This biggest buddy also have been bred with a 100% giant belongs to a friend of mine in Werribee. Its a "100% Giant Metalic Steel HMPK" female imported from Wasanbetta in Bangkok. I don't have the picture of the mum. I managed to select couples of the giant fry. There is about 100 giant fry and only about 20 managed to survive. 11 males 9 female. I managed to get few fry with different colours on.

This is the picture of the son at 1 mth+. Size is approx 7 cm. Didn't managed to become HMPK and follows dad's classic plakat line judging from his oval caudal fin, although he don't have the pointed anal and dorsal fin. Ventral fin is long as classic plakat. Colour also a bit similar to dad although he has half of the metalic steel colour from mum.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Update: Sold to Milan

2nd son. Almost the same as the 1st one. This giant has a shorter body size but fatter + dorsal fin has metalic colour. Again, this one is classic plakat with a bit of metalic colour from mum. Pointed dorsal and anal fin, Oval caudal fin, long ventral fin = classic plakat.

Size is about 6.5cm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

3rd son. A bit smaller. 6.3cm. Really difficult to measure with ruler. Spade shape caudal fin, pointed dorsal fin, and long ventral = classic plakat although the anal fin is not pointed. No metalic colour from mum. Body shape is long.

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is 5 more giant son that i've not managed to get the picture. Really exhausted. 1 giant need 1/2 hour for good picture. 3 son got a solid metalic royal blue. 1 solid metalic green and 1 monster steel!! (my favourite)

Anyway, moving along. This is the newest giant (unrelated). Got it from someone 2 weeks ago. Its marble blue jeans colour. Imported from Eugene, Bettatrills in Singapore. Age unknown, but size is pretty much the same as the others; 6.5cm. Looks like HMPK for a minute but through carefull observation, its a classic plakat. He could have HMPK carrier. The ventral fin is long, has 180 degree caudal fin but edges is not really sharp and more like spade shape in other picture that i didn't post in this forum. Anal fin is a bit pointed as well. Full flap dorsal fin

i pretty sure its a HMPK. Very big 180 degree caudal fin. The only pure HMPK i got.

This picture taken by either someone or Eugene:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And this is picture taken by me:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the matching female from someone as well. From Eugene, Bettatrills in Singapore. Again, age unknown but size is amazingly almost the same as all the males. 6.5cm as of today. Not too sure whether its a plakat female or hmpk female. I can't see the difference :) .

This is picture taken by either someone or Eugene:

Posted Image

Picture taken by me:

Posted Image

and this the picture taken to compare her size with other males:

Posted Image

Archived