Polystyrene Background

I just installed some black "rocky" polystyrene background sheet by Azoo in my goldfish tank.

I'm planning to attach some Java Ferns, Java Moss, and maybe some Anubias to the background, but not sure if the roots can cling on to the surface.

Anybody got any experience with polystyrene background? Any other plants can u guys recommend that I can attach?

Here's a pic of the tank showing the foam background:

Posted Image

Thx & cheers :)

Nice setup golem! Java moss will grow to it, and i'm pretty certain java fern will, but i'm not certain on anubis, its not something i've dealt with much and its attachments seem to be far less delicate, so it might have troubble finding a grip :) how is it stuck in? I'm considering polystyrene for my new setup but i'm still undecided :)

If you are not planning on adding any substrate to the tank you could use a piece of well seasoned driftwood with anubias attached to that. Make sure that you soak the wood really well to stop it from floating then attach the plant using fine fishing line just tight enough to stop it from moving too much. After a while the roots attach to the wood and you can remove the fishing line. Makes a great feature too.

Thx for the replies :D @Callatya: I stuck the polystyrene in without any silicone (which is the best method) but I cut the sheets so that they fit precisely to the back of the tank & they're kept down by the wings of the tank. @Canfeleq: I already got some driftwood in there so I might attach some Anubias there :lol: I tried attaching some Java Moss and guess what? The goldies think it's free buffet and within a day all the Java Moss is gone :lol: . I guess I'll have to stick with Java Fern & Anubias then :flex:

Archived