My Ideal Topline!

splendidbetta

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...ashm&1143650943

:yes::thumbs::):):):):)

I couldn't believe that I stumbled across this guy, not only is his finnage and color great, but just check out his topline shape!

He has I must say the perfect topline, general body structure and deportment that I have seen on a male for a long time if ever.

So if you are ever wondering why I go on and on and on and on about betta Topline shape, it's because fish like this male exist (or at least photos of them do :P )

......so, uh, saving the photo would be a good idea as these AQB links break quite fast......

I guess this post also serves as an Auction Watch :) but that isn't why I posted.

Cheers guys :)

it's the topline of the body. Stefan is obsessed with ensuring that he doesn not produce bettas with any irregularities or dips in the line from nose to dorsal. You're not a dunce - it is quite an obtuse obsession!

Thanks for explaining to Olivia Lilli :) Olivia I have yet to meet anyone who shares my obsession to the same extent if they share it at all. So don't worry about it :yes: Hehe I'm waiting for a truckload of cash to be dumped on my front doorstep firstly, secondly he is Royal Blue and I want to stick to mainly metallics for the time being (and if I got him it would be to try a pure irid line), thirdly, there is a very good chance that he wont arrive in the same condition, even a chance that his topline won't be the same as pictured. So every one else is welcome to try bring him here :) At the moment I want to see if I can produce my Ideal topline by using the (imported) male in my avatar and other Australian bred fish. Let's see if I can do it :) Cheers guys :thumbs:

See this is where people have different opinions and look for different things :thumbs: Personally I don't like the topline on this guy as much as other toplines. To me it looks like a humpback -- though not in a bad way either.

This one is better -- IMO --- as it is a less pronounced "hump".

Red

But topline for me isn't such a problem it's about the fish as a whole. So yeah the blue boy is great. In fact he's sensational but once again IMO an OHM is too much. HM is my preferred single tail type.

Speaking of deportment I don't think it can be judged by a photo though it certainly gives you an idea on how they look. Any fish will flare (well most anyway) but deportment is maintaining that aggressive flaring attitude for a long period of time. Deportment isn't about swimming around like a mad fish flaring in a washing machine it's about keeping a graceful flaring pose that speaks "look at me I'm tough and sexy and I know it."

Just another opinion.

Cheers,

Pat.

It is all about preference and opinion. I very much prefer the body shape of the blue male to the body shape of the red male. I do not see the hump you describe in the blue male, I do see it in the red male. The blue males topline curves gracefully, while the red boy remains more horizontal before slashing down slightly towrds the mouth. I do like a nice sharp edged 180 degree caudal, but I also like a very nice OHM too :thumbs: But finnage wasn't my point in this thread. I agree that deportment cannot properly be captured in a photo. But part of deportment is that a fish can carry himself properly and as you describe 'graceful flaring pose that speaks "look at me I'm tough and sexy and I know it." ', and I see some of that in the photos.

Archived