Channa Bleheri

splendidbetta

I think I'm in love with my first other non-betta species :lol: I'm serious :lol: Does any one know if Channa Bleheri or Rainbow Snakehead is available for legal sale in Australia, particularly Melbourne? Or if there are quality breeders interstate, are they able to be shipped interstate? And does anyone have some good info on them? Many thanks In advance :(

David told me that they are actually illegal in Australia because they survive well in our waterways, and because they are predatory fish that pose a threat to smaller natives. :lol::lol::(:):P:(:(:P The first non-betta fish that I have fallen in love with is illegal. Does anyone know of a similar predatory species of fish that is 15-25 cm long, slim and colorful with similar color/pattern and anatomy/body shape to a Channa? May be Australian native, but not a Gudgeon. Preferably a non-native species that is legal and not expensive. Many thanks in advance :)

Thanks for confirming someone :thumbs: Is there a predatory fish that is LEGALLY available in Australia, that is 15-25 cm long, slim and colorful with similar color/pattern and anatomy/body shape to a Channa? I don't want any Cod, or (northern?) purple spotted gudgeons. I'm told that the southern purple spotted is not readily avail :D Any help will be greatly appreciated :cheer:

There is a wild betta that looks similar, but slightly more compact, buggered if i can recall what one though :thumbs: Have you tried ANGFA for the purple spotted gudgeons? Maybe a gar? different, but interesting. Flathead gudgeons? They look a bit like overdone clowns with the lips, but they aren't too hard to find.

Thanks for the help Abbey. After looking up similar looking fish I've come to the conclusion that either I have a Channa Bleheri or I don't have anything else. Nothing I could find gives me the same feeling as a Channa does. :whistling: Miving to the UK might solve my problem though So I went searching about Wild bettas. Betta Foerschi appealed to me, but researching it brought up many different variations, so I have moved away from them :) Then I did some browsing on the forum, I found some info about Smaragdina, did some research and I think I might be getting into wild bettas one day :) Mouthbrooders look interesting, but again with the Foerschi, they look different depending on the region they came from... Archer fish look interesting too though. I guess I will just have to wait and see...

Archived