Help With Community Tank!

Leela

Hi all My 2ft community tank has been running so well with the 3 BN's in it, I decided to add my females tonight. I started by putting in my copper female, and she completely flipped out! Even after 2 hours of conditioning in a bag, when I released her she went all stripey and just swan backwards and forwards on the side panel. :D Her distress got too much for me, so I removed her and put her in a 4L tank with another smaller female. They both proceeded to flare and fight one another, I couldn't believe it! :D After a minute of torn fins I took out the smaller female and put her in the 2ft tank. She seems much happier than the copper girl! She's got slight striping, but is investigating the surroundings, has found some quiet patches, and has even taken well to bothering my little peppermint BN. :D:huh: Question is, do I try to put the copper girl into the 2ft tank and risk them fighting again, and her stressing out? What do I do with her? :blink: Cheers L :D

In a 2 ft tank, there'll be enough room for half a dozen or more girls to have their own space without fighting, as long as there are plants and other hidey places. Give your copper girl a day or so to settle down -- some bettas adapt quicker than others. Two females in a 4 litre tank is asking for trouble, I'm afraid! More often than not, if there are 2 or 3 girls together one will end up being the target of the other/s. I find that it's best to have 4 or 5 females sharing: that way any potential aggression is more likely to be balanced out. Each female needs around 4 - 6 litres of tank space minimum, to ensure that each one has room to escape from the others and have her own territory.

Hooray, Vicki to the rescue! I realise it was pretty stupid putting the 2 together in that small tank :D but I guess I am still learning. I hope they will both forgive me. I'll do what you suggested Vicki and try again tomorrow. I can't believe how ferocious it was, you're supposed to be ladies!!!! :D Oh, and the Pp BN got sick of the girl bothering him, now he's paying her back by stalking her. Must be love :blink: Thanks L :huh:

within minutes the copper and and the copper marble were lip-locked -- full on mouth-biting, the hussies! Some girls just seem to be very aggressive, whatever the company

Vicki, maybe they weren't biting, but making "peace"?!! :huh::D

I had 5 girls in a 2ft commy tank and there were 3 doms, but now with 5 lesser doms (-3 who have passed on, 2 who were big doms) it's a lot more peaceful :blink:

ok, update time! I put the copper girl back in recently. She was bagged and floating for a couple of hours, and even in the bag the little green girl was flaring at her! I reluctanly let her go and, great! No fighting! :betta: she still looks a little stressed but there is peace and harmony everywhere. Thanks for the advice everyone. Now I just need more females! :D I notice there's a lack of decent females, at least in the pet shops here. Have to wait for tomorrow's new batch at the pet shop I guess. Cheers L:)

Well, there's been a change in the wind (or is that water?) so it seems. Came back from dinner at a friend's tonight to find that at some stage the little green girl has beaten up my copper girl Pea, quite a feat considering their size difference. Now Pea is hiding at the back of the tank, it's obviously where she's been relegated by pecking order. She doesn't look happy. :betta: Why can't they just get along? Hopefully when I get some more girls in there it'll be a bit more evened out. If the green girl goes on like this (chasing Pea around continuously) I'll have to separate her into one of those breeding baskets. *sigh* I thought hobbies were supposed to be relaxing? :lol

Quite often I find that two females is a problem. One on their own is ok or 3 or more is ok (because the agression gets spread around & a pecking order will be established), but with only two the only way the pecking order can go is boss fish - punching bag. I do have a tank with only two females in it, but there is also a male that lives in a jarred pad within the tank and having him to flirt with seems to take their mind off beating the pulp out of each other. HTH

I usually have my sibling gals in a community tank together and they get nasty sometimes if one falls in-love with the boy who is in the lil mesh hang-on-net thingy...other than that I usually havent had any trouble with the girls...although 1 non sibling I added turned into a boy half way thru !

OK, there's been complete mayhem in there all day! :lol: I bought a copper HM today from the LFS, and added her after a few hours. She obviously isn't good at mediating.... :blush: The little green girl, who I have now decided to name 'PIG' (which is much nicer than what I call her under my breath) bullied her as well, so both my coppers ended up hiding. After Pig took a chunk out of Pea's back, that was the last straw. She has been removed, relegated to an old tank until the other two develop some backbone :huh: They get along quite well, Pea is the non-dominant, but the new girl isn't fussed by her, she's not deliberately hunting her like Pig was. I'll try Pig again in a week or so. *sigh* Thanks for all the advice though everyone. Cheers L

Archived