Sterilizing Plants

I am going to give all my new plants a dip in pp to make sure there are no nasties on them. How strong should the solution be and do you dip the roots as well? I have a couple of new plants in my Bermuda Triangle tank that I really would like to keep as I haven't seen them around much (don't know what they are but they look like Java Fern except the leaves are straight edged) but as there was something nasty in the tank I want to make sure it's not on the plants. I know you are all going to say throw the plants out and if I can get some more of them I probably will but just in case I can't get more I'd like to try and salvage them.

Hmm, I'd be taking a guess. I once tried to sterilise a big batch of hornwart from Phil and the pp killed most of it (luckily the rest has been going gangbusters so I still have heaps). BUT i think the problem was I left it in there too long. I'd do a solution that is purple but still transparent, and just put the plants in for 10 minutes. Hopefully someone has a more helpful suggestion, or one involving bleach...

I believe that it is now generally unavailable (thanks to the "war on terror"), but it may still be available from produce stores in bulk. I have over a kg of the stuff, and I'd offer to mail some but it is apparently a component in some explosives so I'd probably be imprisoned with no bail or other civil liberties if I tried.

Archived