Show Prep for Bettas

shadoh

What, if any, measures do you take to prepare a fish for a show?

My usual methods are to feed a high protein diet of as much live foods as possible (similar to conditioning for breeding), Daily flare sessions and "angry stick" training (good method to have a betta display for judges) and keep females jarred and out of sight of males.  If a female looks too "eggy" in the leadup to a show, I usually fast her for a few days so her body will reabsorb the eggs.

If I have a lot on hand to choose from, In the week leading up to the show, I will hold a "mini show" in my fishroom and line them up. Any with disqualifying faults are put back away.  The rest are lined up in order of quality and put back away in that order. That way, when it comes time to send/take them to a show, it is only a matter of selecting them in order off the shelf.

Jarrod
Yellow-Icon_zpsac250c40.jpg

None LOL. That is now changed after seeing some scared bettas at recent meet. :) 

I flare train the boys each day or every 2nd day. They usually get fed once a day so will up that to 2. Not sure what I'll be entering at the IBC show.

I was pretty clueless at my first show. I assumed that my fish would just perform on the day like they did in my fishroom. I had a few that curled up in a ball on the bottom of a beanie until I got them safe back home in their familiar digs. 

Jarrod

• 2 weeks later...

I was so disappointed that I will have no self bred fish for the upcoming 2 shows.  Thankfully, I'll have something ready for the next ones ;)

Collecting some really nice fish for the shows that will be heading to the spawn tank afterwards.

Jarrod

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...