Bbs Hatchery Plans?

Callatya

I am thinking, I don't much want to pay $50 for an in-tank hatchery, but I do like the concept. Can we design a DIY hatchery based on the in-tank models? I don't know about getting clear tuping or end caps, so what about a 600mL coke bottle or similar? Probably Pepsi as it has straighter sides... Anyone have one of those you-beaut hatcheries we could use as a template? want to post piccies?

But what are the benefits of having an in-tank bbs hatchery as you describe? They aren't automatic-feeders, so you still need to harvest them, unless you could have a small valve tap with a siphon connected. And they take up space, especially if the tank is small. You could get the same if not better results by hatching them in a cup like Lilli does or in a 1.5L critter keeper floating in the tank or in a heated tub as I do. And with the critter keeper you don't need aeration because the bottom is flat and there is more surface area for the eggs. Any way, just something for you to think about before you go making this hatchery. What is your hatching method now? Do you get good results from it?

I think Abbey is interested in this type of hatchery as it enables her to heat the brine. They take up less room space than tubs do, even if they occupy space in a tank. I have seen Abbey's fish room and there is no logical spot for a heated tub, and her shelves go to the ground so under-shelf storage isn't an option. I also think that it is easier to aerate them in what Abbey has suggested than in a cup. If I aerate my cups it just makes a mess! Salt creep everywhere, ugh. Not everyone has success hatching in still water, for some reason. I am happy to blame my rate of success on the Lake Tang salts I use. I think it's a good idea to investigate alternatives. :)

I just use normal table salt, and I've never had a failed hatch. And you can float the critter keeper in the tank, I think you might find a photo of that in my photobucket album. It's always a good idea to investigate alternatives, but it's just as good to investigate and consider your current position too.

OK, here is why: The fishroom is going to be icy over winter as its pretty nippy at the moment. I cannot afford to heat the whole room, only the tanks. Lights are fluro, and only on 12hrs a day, so are unsuitable for constant heating. I have very limited space both to have more tanks and within current tanks. I like to have several hatches going at once should one fail, minimum of 3, usually 5. To have 5 critter keepers or similar in a tank would suck up oodles of space, plus, they are the wrong shape for the most effective hatching. What i'm after: A space-efficient heated and airated hatchery. I think inverted bottles with drilled lids held in suctioned-on holders would be pretty perfect :shifty: The eggs would be warm, tumbled, andtake up less space on shelves. Granted they take up more tankspace, however I think if it was a row along the back of a 2' growout, half in half out of the water, it wouldn't be that troublesome :) Maybe a rack would work better, rather than suction cups (that could spill into the tank if they came off) Do they sell U bends for airline?

You can get L-bends (elbows) for airlines, but not sure about U-bends.

I've been toying around for a while with the idea of using empty sports drink bottles or juice bottles as hatchers -- the kind with the pull-up drinking spout. Inverted, you only need to pull down the spout to drain the BBS. As an airline connector, I'd use a 4mm microirrigation tap, drilled and inserted in the base of the bottle. That way it can be closed off so you can turn the bottle up to refill it.

Posted Image

You might need to insert a second tap in the top as an air release valve.

I reckon one of those bathroom hold-all things (that you hang from the shower head) could be adapted as a rack, or maybe a washing peg basket, something like that.

• 11 months later...

OK, change of plan :)

I still need one. It still needs to be in the tank. I think I now have a better idea!

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/brineshrimp.htm

Scroll down to the black box looking thing. I've been wondering why the fresh water stays up the top, and after a quick search, Google tells me that it is because the salt water is much denser. With this in mind, is there a way to do something like this with an old coke bottle? or is that pushing it a bit? :)

I have read about someone putting bbs eggs and salt water in a black film case, with a tiny hole in the lid, and putting the whole thing in the fry tank. as the bbs hatch they swim out and into the tank. I have tried this with an Ice Magic bottle (abbey will see the humour in this) but I think the hole in the top is too big. It would be interesting to see how the film case idea works.

Archived