Advice on Aqua One Nano Heaters

AquaZero666

Hello all!

I'm having an issue with these new Aqua One Nano heaters. (10W) they are suppose to be good for tanks up to 10 litres. I have a standard duo betta tank Measurements: 24cm L x 12cm W x 20cm H. Following all instructions when installing it, I'm still having issues. Temp fluctuations so big that you don't need a thermometer to know its BONE cold in there. It doesn't remain on for long and without constant monitoring and switching the power off and back on again, it won't heat the water anywhere near the supposed 26 degrees. Left overnight, in the morning the water feels like it just came out of the tap. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Because I have two of these Nano heaters in two separate tanks and both are acting the same. Or is the problem Aqua One?

I've got a couple of these little heaters I got to keep my females warm during the intro phase while they're in a beanie-type container. My Fishroom gets cool at night at the moment with the temps regularly dropping below 5C :( - and the nano's cant handle it. They don't seem able to maintain the 26C temp. I think their operational range is quiet small, unfortunately. Mine normally keep the water around room temp, so no lower than 18-19C, but that's not overly conducive to breeding, so I've given up on them for now. I'll pull them out again once the nightly temps stop dropping below 10C.

I wonder if these heaters need a bit of flow going past them. Is it possible that the water close to the heater is warm so it goes off? To be honest I've always had trouble with small tanks. Reptile heating cords underneath the tanks, controlled with a separate thermostat seems to work best but needs a bit of fiddling with to get the right balance.

Hi Eric,
welcome to the group
what bettas are you keeping right now?
apologies if I repeat something BT or Razzi has already mentioned.
With all heaters they have thermostats. if the water around the heater is warm it turns of. if you dont have a filter or bubbler near the heater then its possible around the heater is warm and thats it, so it could one a circulating problem.
The other thing is when selecting heater sizes theres a few variables to consider the first (and a big one is volume) but the other things is how hard it has to work. so for example if your heating a tank in your house which stays moderately warm the heater only has to heat a few degress.
If you had your tank outdoors though where the temperature isnt as controlled youur heater could have to heat 30+ degrees on a cold winter night!!!!
The last possibility is some heaters dont work ive bought heaters from arguably one of the most trustworthy and well known shops in melbourne and it hasnt even worked straight from the packet. May be worth seeing if you could exchange it or if there is a warranty on it.
last thing is if nothing helps and you need a new heater consider and under tank heat matt or cord like razzi suggested. the heated water rises so the tank maintains a nice temperature with out needing the circulation in tank as much.
Hope some of that helps :)
Maddie

Thanks for the info and feedback guys :)

I think Maddie has hit it on the head. The tank is only a 9 litre duo betta tank, and they are kept n the kitchen area which at night in winter can drop down to 11 degrees. With a small tank there really is no feasible spot to out both a heater and a filter. The heat matt sounds like the perfect solution. I actually have a small one I just found from my days when I had bearded dragons. As when the Nano heater DO work, it heats both sides of the duo tank, even with the glass partition in place.

A few of my Betta's

image_zps8aab5d26.jpg

image_zpsd7048448.jpg

image_zpsb480a68d.jpg

image_zps60d37856.jpg

image_zps12c8203d.jpg

Edited by AquaZero666

So in my search for a definitive amswer on these heaters, i'm happy to say that you were all right! The major point being that heaters that small, to maintain the set temperature of 26°C the maximum difference between the ambient and set temperature has to be less than 5°C. Thanks again to all of you :)

Edited by AquaZero666