Parkway01 Copper HMPK Male

Parkway01

Hey all thought I'd post some pics of the little guy I picked up today :-)

He's my first betta since I decided to get back into the hobby.

He is hands down the most active betta I've ever owned. Ssettled in really quickly and is eating, so happy days :-)

So he's a copper HMPK, he's got this nice blue iridescent sheen going on too when he's in the right light.

here are some pics enjoy.

DSC_0280_zps20e8fb3e.jpg

DSC_0275_zps9bf3ba19.jpg

DSC_0266_zpsff118d6a.jpg

Hes ABSOLUTELY STUNNNING :wub:
his fins are really really nice and i like his full mask
The colouration makes me think hes got quite heavy dragon genes too
(thicker scaling and also how the colour is more white rather than the normal copper bronze(as demopnstrated in this photo by melbourne betta of one of her stunning copper halfmoons 9706463_orig.jpg)
hes definately an great looking fish though

**SUBTLE PLUG***
check out your local betta club cause i wouldn't hesitate entering him in a show :)

Thanks maddz :-)

I see what you mean about his colouring.

how nice is that copper!

Have to decide on a goal and do some research before I decide on what I want to put with him. But a Dragon is sounding really good at the moment :-p

I take it the pinky-purple hue is to do with lighting as opposed to the actual fish...

I would look to get a platinum dragon partner for this fella - and make sure she also has a full mask (total colour coverage over the head). But then I would be looking at getting a platinum dragon female CT for this fella...start your own line of CTPK...but I could be biased ;)

If he has a blue sheen depending on light, then he will be carrying iridescent genes, and the dots in the dorsal may be the indicator for the black lace gene being present. Maybe a female black dragon HMPK would be a cool way to go...

Good luck with whatever way you go! :D

Cheers Jay :-)

Hey Brenton. His tail is a real mauve sort of colour, his colours have really popped the last couple of days, lots of blue iridescence now :-)

Heres a new pic.

2014-05-09_08-06-28'' target='_blank'>2014-05-09_08-06-28>2014-05-09_08-06-28

Ooow big decisions to make

Ok - so a red fish carrying irid to give a blue overlay, or a blue (irid) fish with heavy red influence, which gives the appearance of purple(ish) to the eye...depending on angle of viewing and the light source.

Pairing with a dragon will likely give you dragon fry, so if that's a trait you're interested in, then go that way as it is the only one you have a chance of being relatively certain of being able to carry through to the fry.

If you get a red dragon partner, the blue irid will be passed as well, but not so heavy if the partner is clean of irid genes (rare but it can be greatly reduced).

If you get a irid dragon (blue, steel, turquoise), you will increase the irid layer in your fry (colour % dependant on female), but you will also have red wash - takes a long time to breed out depending on female.

If you used a yellow dragon female, you will still have red/blue fry, but they will carry the nr1 gene, so a brother sister pairing for the next generation, will remove the red for you (from some fry), leaving you with possibly some cleaner blue dragon offspring in F2 - could be interesting.

A black dragon female will likely result in darker irid fish with red wash for most fry. My opinion here would now not to go this way due to the increased presence of the irid genes. You could have worked the red wash out with the nr1 introduction at some point as suggested above.

Maybe the simplest way to go would be to look for a blue dragon female to give you fairly straight forward results to begin with - get your feet wet with breeding, and get a handle on genetics, and then go from there.

Remember, these are only possible outcomes. Unless you know all the genetics of the parents, anything is possible :)

hey BT.
I dont think its got red genetics (well red wash or underlay) i think its just a copper. in a normal fish like ness's they will flassh purple, blue ,yellow, brown depending on the light and angles viewed. i think the dragon just changes these colours a little in this case pinker/lilac-y but thats from my keeping and intense love of all things copper and blingy :P

Under which section?

If you mean the bit about metallic, then I believe that the structure is altered depending on the metallic modifiers present in the parents, so a combination where one parent supplies a modifier but the other doesn't would give the fry an intermediate step - so with the blue/greens you would get something like:

BlBl+nm (meaning a turquoise carrying one metallic modifier, and therefore called metallic turquoise) x BlBlnmnm (with a straight non-metallic turquoise)

would give you the possibility of (+ designates a metallic modifier being present, nm designates non-metallic)

+ nm

nm +nm nmnm

nm +nm nmnm

50% of the fry carrying a single modifier and looking like dad (metallic turquoise).

If you then crossed siblings who both carry a metallic modifier, you might get:

+ nm

+ ++ +nm

nm +nm nmnm

So, 25% straight turquoise (BlBlnmnm), 25% Mettalic green (BlBl++), and 50% metallic turquoise like mum and dad.

For completeness

Turquoise = BlBlnmnm

Metallic Turquoise = BlBl+nm

Metallic Green = BlBl++

Royal Blue = Blblnmnm

Metallic Blue = Blbl+nm

Teal = BlBl++

Steel Blue = blblnmnm

Metallic Steel = blbl+nm

Copper = blbl++

But, as I don't have experience with copper (although I may have a couple in my fry tank as we speak ;) ), I imagine if the spread of the iridescent layer is not even, then perhaps you would see different colours bounced back at you from metallic fish who carry two modifiers. This, I imagine, would be due to an inconsistent application of the spread iridescent (si) gene over the entirety of the fish in question....maybe (just guessing at this bit...)

You mean this bit:

The typical metallic/copper sheen is caused by the crystalline layer. Whereas in classic blue-green the iridophores are all the same size and shape, metallic iridophores are characterized by different shapes and sizes. Because of this the crystaline layer influences the refraction of the light spectrum which could be an explaination for the color changes which sometimes can be observed in metallics.

I may be mistaken - or just misreading - but I think this is saying that the metallic modifiers, when added to the base iridescent layer's colour, cause the colour to change as I outlined above...more modifiers will result in different colours, as opposed to metallic fish having different colours shown on their body at the same time. And an inconsistent application of the Si gene would lead to different colours being refracted.

But then, if you take the statement color changes which sometimes can be observed as saying this is not something you will always see, (because the colour changes to irid colours are a known and reproducible trait) then I guess it could be an explanation...but Joep does say "could be an explanation" so don't take it as a proven fact, just an educated guess due to years of experience from a very knowledgeable breeder.

I am nowhere near as experienced or knowledgeable as Joep or many of the other breeders here, so I'm happy to be shot down in flames, it's just that logically, the theory of the Si gene would give the same result....

Food for thought maybe :)