Australian Natives

Najoha

Has anyone kept or keep Australian Natives? Keeping wild betta and thinking species maintainance got me thinking about our own native species. What are they like? Easy to keep/ water requirements? Breed how? Variety? Got any pics? Have done a little research and not alot of info or maybe I haven't found it yet. They have a club too.

I have kept them in the past but none at the moment. Have never bred them - never really tried to as they were all brackish/enormous and I didn't have a spare tributary for them to spawn in :lookaround: Ever since I went to Wagga Wagga and saw the giant Murray Cod as a child I have been interested in them, but lots of other stuf got in the way of getting into them properly.

I'm only keeping two species of galaxias, firetailed gudgeons and river blackfish at the moment.. But I've kept quite a few other species over the years.

What are they like? Easy to keep/ water requirements? Breed how? Variety? Got any pics?

Have done a little research and not alot of info or maybe I haven't found it yet.

Have to be more specific on which species.

Like every other fish on the planet, they're all different and have different needs.

Here's a list of a fair few Australian freshwater fish..

http://www.fishbase.org/Country/CountryRes...roup=freshwater

You can regularly pick up firetail gudgeons from the feeder tanks, I believe they come through bayfish and petras at varying times of the year. I found a dwarf flathead gudgeon pair in a feeder tank once, STUNNING male, female was less stunning :shifty: Gave them away to a friend, but unfortunately the girl jumped and the male eventually passed on from disease.

You can regularly pick up firetail gudgeons from the feeder tanks, I believe they come through bayfish and petras at varying times of the year.

A few places have realised that they're more interesting in tanks than inside other fish so they're selling them for a higher price.

From what I remember, Auburn is selling them for around $10 now.

About time.

Archived