Types of Crowntail tails...

Brenton

I took a mental note, the other day, of what someone posted on Facebook, and have now completely forgotten the actual detail of what I wanted to know, so I figured I'd come ask you fine folk.

On top of the single ray, DR and DDR classifications for CT's, someone mentioned another name to describe the type of tail being shown. Unfortunately, I'm at work and therefore unable to post pictures to better explain myself.

Ignoring the actual ray structure for the moment, when a CT's webbing reduction varies between the first and second branching, I think this has a specific name in being able to describe that type of CT...is this correct? If so, what are the names used to describe the different types?

Jarrod once mentioned something specific to cross rays and it being either reversed or not - can someone find a picture or way of explaining that to me as well please?

When I get home, if my mental note holds up, I'll see if I can find some pictures to better describe what I'm after...if none of this makes sense :)

So...if any of these pictures or fish are yours, feel free to let me know so I can give due credit.

These are examples I've just pulled from the net...

Here is a standard, run-of-the-mill single ray CT (the kind I am well and truly over):

1.jpg

This is a double ray:

2a.jpg

But this is a double ray as well, but I thought the webbing pattern had some flash name to differenciate it from the first example of a DR:

2aaa.jpg

More to follow...

Now to complicate things a bit more...this is also a DR but with yet another difference in form:

2.jpg

This actually the form I like most but I don't think the secondary web reduction meets the standards. Yes/No?

And just for completeness we have a DDR:

3.jpg

And the ultimate King:

TheBestkingct10ptcross.jpg

I thought the balloon webbing was referred to as Balok...I went back and reread the IBC standards and see I've rolled the two into one - duh!

It also says that Balok is not a preferred form for CT :(/>...but if evenly distributed, it would not be a fault (provided it meets the minimum webbing reduction requirements).

So to have a Balok CT to meet the standards, would that then require 50% reduction on the primary rays, and a minimum of 33% in the secondary?

If one searches long enough and hard enough...one will find it's all been done before: Betta Gruppen

Edited by Brenton

So...if any of these pictures or fish are yours, feel free to let me know so I can give due credit.

This is a double ray:

2a.jpg

But this is a double ray as well, but I thought the webbing pattern had some flash name to differenciate it from the first example of a DR:

Off topic side note... this was my crowntail I got from someone lea. :)

This picture is doing the rounds for a few reasons -

1. to show double ray

2. to apparently show pinhole rot (in the dorsal)

3. because he's just a lovely looking fella

But if you're sure he's yours, then I hereby give all credit for my DR example to Sarah - there, that should make it official :)/>

Edited by Brenton

Sarah, what is your blog address?

Razzi - thanks for clarifying that. I think Balok is the way I'm going to go. Can you any thoughts on whether a Balok CT to meet the standards, would require 50% reduction on the primary rays, and a minimum of 33% in the secondary?

Cheers in advance

BT