Breeding for a 4 ray female

Big azza

Hi everyone

I was just thinking of how you would go about breeding for a 4 ray female

ATM I have a hm male and a few vt girls and I was wondering if I could end up with any 4 ray females from that combo

Thanks Aaron

Well I think I may just give that ago

I should be able to improve on the stock I already have well I'm hoping I can I'll make a spawn log as I go

So it will be a ct x vt and hm x vt at the moment I'm only after good form I don't really care about colour

Both the ct and hm are males so if I do a f1 with the best daughters can I expect a small number to be ct and hm

Thanks Aaron

Just an update I have the ct male and vt female in the spawn tank and everything is going good

I'm thinking out of this combo I should end up with combtailes and vt

Then I will pick the best combtail female and breed her back to her father and hope for some cts

Thanks Aaron

I also have a hm male that I can breed to a vt

I have tried reading as much info as I can but im more of a hands on type of guy I'll learn so much from this spawn and have a better understanding of tail types

Thanks Aaron

CT and VT are a better combination in my opinion than CT and HM. You don't want too many ray divisions in the CT otherwise it starts to get out of control and they don't look that great. VT and HM is not that great but if that's what you got go for it. In both scenarios though it will take a few generations to get really good form. But that's the fun of it I think. Good luck.

I'd love to see some picks of what you get, Azza. I've got a LFS VT here who my wife is begging me to let at one of the female CT's. Are all yours around the same age? My male is somewhat older than the females and a great deal bigger - I'm concerned he will do some real damage.

Bettarazzi thanks for that info I'll just stick with ct x vt for now and work on improving as much as I can.would I be best to pick a sib pair or breed back to the father

Brenton I'll put pics up on my Facebook group which is k&d betta Im going to use it to keep records of everything I already got my hm and ct males up I'll put some of the female for you

As for age I'm not sure I know one of my females is at least 2 yrs old and still breeds

Thanks Aaron

Copy the address from the browser by highlighting it completely, press and hold the control key and then press the C key (continue to hold the control (CTRL) key). Reply to this post and hold the control key again but this time, while holding the control key, press the V key.

Don't need to be capitals.

There you go - I know nothing about Macs or smart phone IOS so...

Azza, you have a female with a round tail and definitely some CT in her. Cross with the male CT and you should get F1 with more crown than comb - if I've got my genetics right. As the female only has the ray splitting on the end, my guess is you may get double ray in F1 or, if you did a sibling pair, F2.

Now, when you say four rays, are you talking a double-double ray? That's way harder to get to and may require brining in some new blood with double ray already in the line. Bringing the two together may help you get to where you want to be...

Or I could be totally wrong.

Nice looking fish though,

Brenton thanks for that info I got that blue female in the spawn tank with the ct male as we speak

She keeps going under the nest and when the male gos to wrap she swimms off she's being a little tease hahaha

I was wanting to breed for a normale 4 ray female delta or super delta so I can breed her to my hm male as I have read it producese more hm in the spawn

With your spawn Brenton are you able to see many eggs

Thanks Aaron

Don't know that much about getting HM's other than the trait is not controlled by a single gene, and environmental factors play into it as well.

Not sure on the eggs. He's built the new nest and I've taken one blurry shot of it, but there seems to be three slightly off-colour patches in the bubbles, one of them is huge. I'm inending to check it out more in the light of day, but yes, I think there are quite a few.