DIY lighting

lodo

So I'm just wondering people's thoughts on lighting. Planning to go to middys and buying a few fluros and wiring them up (I'm an electrician so no problem with that)

What would work best for two 6ft wild tanks, having single tube or double tubes? Planning two 4fts or three 3fts.

Also planning to set something up similar inside where we have a two shelve that's 6ft long but with 6 tanks on it.

If I do get all the stuff ill post photos here of how it all went

why don't you go LED floodlights? I've recently started using them and they have no problem growing low light plants for me but I only small wattages so you grab a few 50W ones for your tank it won't cost your more than buying t5 high output. The running cost is next to nothing for them coz they're long lasting and uses very little power.

A 6ft tank would need a lot more lighting than that. Somewhere there's a lighting calculator that works out how much wattage you need depending on the depth of the water and how high the lights are above the tank. I don't have the link handy, maybe someone else knows where it is. I can look for it later if no one else finds it first.

Its two 6x1x1 tanks with wilds in them so don't want really bright lighting. Will be looking sometime this week if I get a chance, hopefully work out something good. Leds would be alright I'm thinking. All our other tanks have proper led lighting but costs far too much

• 4 weeks later...