Newbie needs help

Gaby

Hi all, :confused:

I am brand new to betta breeding and I reckon you have many times helped 'greenies' with the same questions.

What is the minimum/required size of cubes to house HAPPY male bettas. Has anyone got sort of a drawing to explain in detail how to go about the "retic" for the tanks as I can't get my head around the sump and how to make the flow in/flow out of the whole thing. Next question: where can I get these Indian Almond leaves? How many females would I be able to house in a 3ft tank? Last but not least: where can I get live food for fry in WA. Maybe someone in WA which is so far from all the things you can get in the Eastern States so easily can help along the way and be my mentor? :blush:

Can anyone help, please. Thank you. B-)

Hi I can help with a few of these questions, I think that 10L is a good size to keep male betta's happy. 8L min. I got my Indian Almond leaves from Aquotix in canning vale off bannister road, this is a great shop if you haven't been there already. If you go in there and ask questions about the retic and sump you mentioned they will be able to show you they are very helpful also Les on here feeds all his fish live food so maybe he can help you out there :-) What are you planning on breeding?

Hey Paws,

Firstly, start at the beginning.

Research is your best friend - have a peek here at the care sheet Victoria Betta have put together... we recommend a minimum of 3 litres per male.

In a 3 foot tank you'd be best off with 6 or more females - with LOTS of plant coverage (fake or real - it's about hiding spots and breaking up the line of sight for agro girls), oh - and sharp eyes - the girls will hammer out a pecking order in the first few days but anyone that persists in aggressing might want to be isolated in their own tank or re-homed.... you'll need to be on top of it so nobody gets hurt.

The more fish in a sorority the better (filtration and water changes to suit)

Filtration is confusing.

Sumps either work on the same level as the tank (at the back) or on a different level (below the tank) basically you are pulling old water out of the tank into the sump, running it through some sort of filter (sponge/noodles/carbon) and pushing the new water back into the tank.

I'm no expert, and prefer to have a canister filter completely over-do my filtration so I don't have to think.

Can't help you with the availability of live foods - but ring around your local stores, keep in mind that frozen foods are statistically just about as good as live in terms of nourishment.

(: Hope that helps.

-Ness

Thanks XSilver and MelbourneBetta for all your info. I will certainly go and have a sticky beak at aquatix. I have spent hours reading up on this forum and googled till the cows come home. So what would the dimensions be of each compartment in the barracks. I have ordered a set of four barracks as that was all they had at Aquarium City but each tank might be too small to house 3L. Oh, XSilver, I wanted to have a go at breeding bettas as I could sell them in my shop. :)

I'll start setting up the aquariums on the weekend and order some nice breeders and spares from jha.

But I read they need life food in the beginning, so is frozen good enough?

Hey Paws,

Firstly, start at the beginning.

Research is your best friend - have a peek here at the care sheet Victoria Betta have put together... we recommend a minimum of 3 litres per male.

In a 3 foot tank you'd be best off with 6 or more females - with LOTS of plant coverage (fake or real - it's about hiding spots and breaking up the line of sight for agro girls), oh - and sharp eyes - the girls will hammer out a pecking order in the first few days but anyone that persists in aggressing might want to be isolated in their own tank or re-homed.... you'll need to be on top of it so nobody gets hurt.

The more fish in a sorority the better (filtration and water changes to suit)

Filtration is confusing.

Sumps either work on the same level as the tank (at the back) or on a different level (below the tank) basically you are pulling old water out of the tank into the sump, running it through some sort of filter (sponge/noodles/carbon) and pushing the new water back into the tank.

I'm no expert, and prefer to have a canister filter completely over-do my filtration so I don't have to think.

Can't help you with the availability of live foods - but ring around your local stores, keep in mind that frozen foods are statistically just about as good as live in terms of nourishment.

(: Hope that helps.

-Ness

Yeah, frozen food at first. Fry have a natural instinct to eat moving things- that's why newer fry get live food. The problem with frozen food for new fry is that they might not eat it as it is not moving or wriggling.

Once they are older though, frozen is easier to keep than live and has the same sort of nutritional value.

Feeding newly hatched fry

Day 0-2 = egg sac

day 2-10 = Vinegar Eels / Microworms (you will need a culture)

Day 10-25/30 = baby brine shrimp

From then on it's grindals / mozzie larvae / small pellets, frozen foods cut up finely

That's how I do it, people have their own ways.

Yes, you need live foods for fry, adults will be happy with fozen and live foods

Thanks for all the infoooo! I have bought my first tank to house the females in when I get breeding pairs. Filter and Heater are installed and running. Tomorrow I'll start adding plants, gravel, some rocks. I went to Aquotix .... wow amazing shop. A bummer was they didn't have any indian almond leafs in stock :o but they sell complete set-ups of 12 betta barracks with filter & heating. Looked good for my shop :D, shame they don't sell wholesale <_< .

Hey Paws

I can fix you up with a MW culture and a grindel worm culture that should get you going in the right direction if you live out near Aquarium City i will be going out that way to deliver some fish next week so let me know and I will PM my phone number to set up time and day .

As far as size of container goes. What you have to remember is most fish die from water quality related problems. Betta can be kept in small volumes of water but you must remember to change the water more frequently than if they are kept in a larger volumes of water.

If you cant get indian almond leaf I am makeing another order next week so will just up the qty if your intrested I can give you banana leaf with directions to make up a tea that works just as well.

I order Blackworms from Vic often and find this the cheepest way to feed my betta as they only need the adition of IAL or Bananaleaf and temp to spawn. ordering them in bulk is way cheeper that buying from a shop. A friend and I go halfs in what I order to share fraight but I can get up to 2Kg for the same frieght if your intrested.

As for the plumbing of a barracks I have built one before and it is good for people short on time. I keep my betta the old way that way I feel more in touch.

more than willing to help

Cheers

les

Thanks les, I live in Bakers Hill but I am sure we can arrange to meet or I get my son to meet you for the worm cultures. Would you be able to put instructions with it? I have no idea how to maintain a culture. At the moment I am getting ready and setting up the holding tank for females, got to buy one for spawning - what does a spawning tank need to have in it? The cubes to hold males I have sort of organised already. So when I am ready - probably another couple of weeks - I'll give you a holler :D. Thank you again.

Hey paws

I am willing to meet up with your son and give him the cultures if you like I will PM my mobile so you can give me a text and we can organise a time and day. I have fact sheets already made up for people I send cultures to in the eastern states so I will put some in with them OK

my spawning tanks have a set of thin strips of glass in the midle of each side of the tank so thaat a pain of glass can be slid down them and stay in place whilst the male is on one side and the female is on the other. Then when they are ready to mate I remove the glass and let them get on with it. After matting I intice the female to the oposite side of the tank with food and slid the glass back into position, This makes her capture easyer and dosnt disturd the nest. When the male is ready to remove I do the same with him and this stops damaging to many fry in the chase. I make my own spawning tanks so I will try to put up some pictures in a thread to explain it better.

Cheers

Les

PS I think your mail draw is full so I cant PM

Edited by les

Hey Paws

To empty you notification:

On the right of the screen you will see your name and an arrow, next to this is a number and an arrow click on the arrow.

you will then have a list of notifications at the bottom of the list it will say view all natifications, click on it

you will now have a screen that says saved notifications, On the right hand side of the screen there will be boxes for you to select which notifications you wish to delete select and delete

I think that is the easyist way to explain.

I will try and PM you my Number tonight.

I will order the IAL it does take a while for them to come surface male but will let you know when they arrive.

May I ask what your first name is?? as I feel a little wierd calling you Paws all the time.

Cheers

Les

LOL Hi Gaby

My new pup just got into the MW cultures that I left in the tresle in the shed. ( It gave her the runs realy bad but serves her right) I will pick up new ones from a friend on Tuesday so they will be ready for you by the end of the week the same as the grindels.

Cheers

Les

LOL at you two

My Daughter was at home with her boyfriend and the dog exploded in the hallway. I wasnt at home ( ANGFA meeting ) and my wife was at work. I got a phone call that was basicly words with sounds of gagging in between. I must admit me and the Boys had a bit of a laugh over it. When I got home Kevin ( My daughters boyfriend ) said he mand up and cleened up the mess ( he did a great job No after smell ) So I recone he must be a keeper. i still havent confessed it was the MW that caused it LOL.

I dont have my qouota in the message box and I am still reciving messages from other members. I will PM Razzi tp see if he can figer it out.

Cheers

les