Removing silicone

BettaObsessed

I have a divided tank which I am trying to take the divider out of. I have managed to remove the silicon from the back and most of the bottom of the divider but the front and the rest of the bottom are wedge right against the tank glass. I was able to get a knife blade in to loosen the other bits but trying to get a knife into the bits that are still stuck is chipping the glass.

I have just read that heating the silicon makes it easier to remove but I am wondering if this will work if I can't get anything in there to scrape it off? I can move the back end of the glass slightly but I don't want to push it too hard. I don't want to snap it in case I want to use that piece again to redivide the tank. Any ideas?

Thanks all. Got it out today. I had my eldest son hold the hairdryer while I tried to scrape it out. This got a little more out than I already but not much. It was only the front side that was still stuck so I turned it onto its front and poured nail polish remover along the join. Let it soak for a few minutes, gave it a wiggle and out it came. It took a little of the bottom silicone with it but there is still silicone along the join. I wiped out the nail polish, rinsed the tank quite a few times and set it up.

I now have one happy axolotl swimming around in an 80L tank instead of a 20L (which I mistakenly had thought was 40L) :-D