Cycling 30L tank

SAF

yes I have done a water change yesterday for my blue betta tank. nitrate isl about 10-20pp. which is an improvement

I think after todays water change it should reduce even further.

the water is the same temperature when I do the water change.

how contagious is fin rot ?. I'm thinking in about a week I'll be swapping Samuel(blue betta) into another tank that a healthy betta is in and the healthy one into Samuels tank.

should I maybe isolate Samuels tank for awhile before adding the healthy betta?

Hi SAF, I would advise against adding the betta to another tank at the moment. Hopefully the experienced betta owners here can tell you what they do to fix this sort of problem(im more a community fish person) but I think leaving it in the tank it is in and treating it for finrot and adding salt there would be best. Also what is the temperature of your water at? The two main causes are poor water quality (which we dont think it is) and low water temperature (which could be caused by a faulty heater). I believe betta's are recommended to be kept between 24-30 degrees celcius.

I think its only us reading this thread lol....

The water is at the same temperature. i have the tank set up in a small cupboard and store the new water in there as well. the tank doesn't actually have a heater because it in with the hot water system but i have monitored the temperature over a span of a weekend and keeps it at approx 24-25 degrees all day and night.

I'm thinking what i might do over the weekend is take the blue betta out and keep him in a smaller tank and isolate his tank with no fish in there for another 2 weeks to rid any disease (i hope this theory works lol). i think the shrimps in there will be enough to keep tank from losing the beneficial bacteria.

Hey, I am reading the thread but agree with most advice so no need to add to it.

As for the disease, as far as I know, melt is considered contagious. I haven't had it so can't help much here. The only thing I want to add is I believe that the true reason a fish gets sick is stress. white spot is always present but can't get a "host" when fish are healthy, but when a fish is stressed is can get white spot, melt, rot, fungus ect.

The big question is why was your fish stressed if water quality was ok? You can treat the melt (you will have to if the fish is to survive) but unless you can figure out what stressed him in the first place it will return.

Or it could just be the bloody fish itself. I have had my fair share that just keep getting sick, in a barracks and be the only one sick, over and over again. :-(.

Good luck.

Edited by Busman

hmm is fin rot the same as melt ? melt sounds horrid lol.

Maybe the cherry shrimps be stressing him out ? he seems to try stalk and chase them.

Ever since i bought him his been bad. His caudal fin was effed. all ripped and half gone. and his ventrals are all curled up and plain **** looking. it was a bad spontaneous buy.

Betta's have a natural day time/night time cycle so this could well be a cause of stress if he is constantly in darkness.I assume once you get home from work he would be lucky to get a few hours of daylight? He should be in daylight for atleast 8 hours a day. Can you not put him away overnight and take him out before you go to work so he has more daylight?

I think what you have heard may have been misunderstood. Betta's hate "direct sunlight", not day light. (no tank should be in direct sunlight anyway.)

Hope this helps.

Not all that much I can add than what's been said already. You've been given some great advice.

To answer your question, fin melt is a type of fin rot - just a LOT more aggressive. Same sort of treatment. Pretty lucky you don't have melt.

I treat finrot with extra IAL, salt and if that doesn't help in a day or two, I add triple sulphur (tetracycline and other bacterial meds are good too).

Hey all, so what i've decided to do was take my blue betta out of the tank and put him into a smaller bare bottom tank and treat him with tri sulfa.

I haven't started the treatment yet as the instructions are very limited.