What's the grey slime on my moss?

EmmaJT

Hi, here we go again, I got more newbie questions..

My betta seems to be on its way to mending after I discovered some pinholes in the fins. I done partial water changes every other day & added salt & bettafix. I don't have any IAL as of yet but working on it.

But as I was giving the tank it's weekly all over clean I discovered some of my spikey moss (attached to a resin pine tree) got this yucky looking grey slime covering it? Does anybody know what this is, is it some kind of algea?

And most importantly, how the heck do I get rid of it??

I read somewhere about dipping the plants in some sort of bleach bath, is that what I need to do & how do I do that in that case. Worried I would poison my betta with it. Actually it looks like I got some on my liliapsosis next to it as well!

Tank around 23 litres of water excluding gravel. Planted with spikey moss, driftwood with anubias & liliapsosis. It got a hang on filter with surface skimmer model MH-300 flow 300L/H and a fluorescent 8W on for 11-12 hours a day, not next to a window but with a fair amount of morning light. ph 6,5 & no ammonia. Tank about 4 weeks old.

Any ideas from you people with all this experience. Cheers.

I don't know the exact name for this but I do know that I had this very slime on some of my driftwood and the two recommendations I got on getting rid of them was 1) Boiling the wood, and 2) Putting an Otto Catfish in. I think that may imply that it's some sort of algae? I'd be interested to know exactly what this is called.

I don't know the exact name for this but I do know that I had this very slime on some of my driftwood and the two recommendations I got on getting rid of them was 1) Boiling the wood, and 2) Putting an Otto Catfish in. I think that may imply that it's some sort of algae? I'd be interested to know exactly what this is called.

It's not an algae, it's a fungus, after a few weeks it is outcompeted by other life forms and goes away.

YES! Matt, that is just the kind of answer I like :lol:

RiffRaff can you put ottos in a betta tank? I would actually like to have some shrimp in there but not sure if my betta Oscar will just find them munchy.. Thought I wait for the plants to take of first so they would have somewhere to hide. Has anyone tried this? I googled it & it sort of looks semi successfull.

At the LFS they said amber tetras would work otherwise..

i have java moss in my betta tank and it also was getting this grey slimey looking stuff on it.

it looked like a cross between mucus and cotton bud, but more on the mucus side and webbing between the java moss.

I bought a ramshorn snail yesterday and put him in the tank and today its all gone. Its just moss now lol

Ok Matt, tried to attach a photo. You can really see it on the bottom one, it's the worst one. It's really gross & if I scrape it of it floats away in a lump.

[]http://s1067.photobucket.com/albumsy/u432/MisSteam/?action=view¤t=ea6d274c.jpg&evt=user_media_share

SAF I do really like the thought of a Ramshorn snail but worried it will escape since its a gap in the glass for the filter & heater cable, I coved most part with a ruler :giggle: But still a few inches open. Lucky Oscar haven't tried any escaping yet..

No success with that link. Try this ea6d274c.jpg

Cheers Matt. It des look pretty unsightly, just hoping t won't spread anywhere else. Maybe it has something to do with the cotton string I used on top of the nets to hold the moss in place..

SAF, I looked into Ramshorn snails a bit more & a bit worried about a lot of aquarists seem to have trouble with them taking over the aquarium but I guess it can't really do much on its own?