My new lovely betta looks like he is spitting out food

EmmaJT

Hi guys,

Finally got my first betta today, a lovely redish crown tail. Just gave him his first feed of betta pellets which he eagerly eats & then looks like he spits them out? Is he actually spitting them out?

I also gave him some black worms for dessert which he LOVED (no spitting them out :lol: )but I'm worried about over feeding him. I'm planning on feeding him morning & evening but how much pellets & worms should I give him? He comes back up looking like he wants more..

And what to do if he spits the pellets out?

He is such a pretty boy, I post some pics as soon I sorted out a photobucket account. :cheer:

My bettas (actually my other fish too) often take in some flake food, then chew on them, then spit it out in little pieces, and then take another mouthful.

I read somewhere that a betta's stomach is about the size of its eye. So I think it should be fine if you feed him enough food to fill his tiny stomach.

My bettas have swallowed much bigger bits of food before though.

Ok thanks guys, then I don't feel so worried anymore. I guess they don't really have teeth to chew with so maybe thats how they do it sometimes & then the occasional slurping spagetti worm.. So is feeding twice a day to much then? How many worms do you roughly feed them? They gave me so many at the shops I don't think its healthy to give them all to him in a week, hoping they will live for longer.

He has obviously decided on that the corner I feed him in the first & only time so far is where dinner is served & now keeps coming up there all the time I come anywhere close to the tank.

Thanks a million for the help.

Some times my wild Mahachai female does this. She will gulp, chew, spit a pellet a couple of times before she eats it. My dragon females in my sorority do this occasionally, but the quickly learn that if you spit out a pellet, you risk losing it to a HM female.